New Scale install, unable to use existing pool

mx960

Cadet
Hello, I just did a new install of TrueNAS Scale: Version: TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2

The OS installed on a single drive, and I then imported an existing pool that was previously working on an older FreeBSD system. The import was successful, and I also upgraded it successfully.

The TrueNAS UI correctly shows 2 existing datasets on the pool, but I'm unable to add a new dataset. When adding a new dataset with default options, I get this error:

Code:
[EINVAL] pool_dataset_create.aclmode: DISCARD aclmode may not be set for NFSv4 acl type

1708800412849.png

I'm also unable to edit Permissions for the dataset, there is no "edit" button in the Permissions area

Looking at Advanced details on the dataset, I can see ACL Type is set to "SMB/NFSv4" but its greyed out as not an option I can edit:

1708800500968.png

I'm stumped on how to "fix" the ZFS pool so that TrueNAS can manage it, looking through docs but haven't found any clear path yet! Any pointers would be appreciated.

artlessknave

Wizard
it looks like your permissions are mangled or confused somehow. have you tried stripping all the ACLs? this will take you back to unix-like permissions

mx960

Cadet
I've found that I can add a new dataset in the zpool by selecting "Advanced Options", then set ACL Type to SMB/NFSv4 instead of default Inherit.

That seems to work nicely, then a child dataset doesn't need to set advanced options.

Hopefully this helps someone else, took me awhile to figure it out.