BUILD New Nas Box - please share your thoughts and give me your amen

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpinux

Cadet
Hi folks, hopefully i did my homework correctly - to be sure I'm posting the lists of components I'll buy:

4 x Western Digital WD Red 1TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s (WD10EFRX)
2 x Western Digital WD Red 3TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s (WD30EFRX)
1 x Intel Core i3-4150, 2x 3.50GHz, boxed (BX80646I34150)
2 x Samsung DIMM 8GB, DDR3-1600, CL11 (M391B1G73QH0-CK00)
1 x Supermicro X10SLL-F bulk (instead of ASUS P9D-X)
1 x Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
1 x Seasonic G-360 (instead of be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W ATX 2.4)
1 x Eaton 3S 700 DIN (3S700DIN)

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
As long as you keep those vdevs in separate pools, that should work, though be aware that if either of the 3TB disks fails, you'll lose everything in that pool. Using current prices from Newegg, that drive configuration would cost $530. If you used 4 x 4TB WD Red disks instead, that would cost $700, give you the same net storage capacity, and have it all in a RAIDZ2 configuration.

I don't know anything about the motherboard you chose, but from the specs I see it looks like it should work. I see SuperMicro used a lot more around here, though.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Asus as server-grade is laughable. But good luck!

danb35

Hall of Famer
What's wrong with this particular ASUS board? It has a C222 chipset and supports ECC, and looks feature-comparable to a basic SuperMicro board (though it doesn't appear to have IPMI). Of course, it's at least as expensive as a comparable SuperMicro board with IPMI (the X10SLL-F-O), but maybe he needs the PCI slots or something. The choice of UPS suggests to me that he's not in the US, which may affect component selection.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
ASUS hasn't been a manufacturer of server-grade stuff for 10+ years like Supermicro. It's no accident they aren't on our recommended hardware list.

Engineering and manufacturing for desktops is nothing like engineering and manufacturing for servers.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Avoid bequiet PSUs like the plague. They're not particularly quiet and some of them are quite dangerous.

Get a Seasonic G-360, or, if money is tight, a Corsair CX 430.

Also, Supermicro motherboards are quite a bit better than the one you chose - and probably cheaper, judging by the last time I shopped around for Asus "server" boards.

SirMaster

Patron
Well ASUS has been selling server hardware for more than 10 years though. Maybe not as long as Supermicro, because it's hard to find the exact start date of ASUS server parts, but 10+ years at least yes it's pretty easy to find evidence of that.

But yeah Supermicro only does servers while ASUS does both. Well ASUS does many, many things, but they are also more than 10x larger.

I use a Supermicro board in my current server because it was the best value, but my oldest PC still in operation today is using a 7 year old (2007) ASUS server board and it's working as well as it did when it was new and I never had any issues with it.

Last edited:

alpinux

Cadet
Thanks for your thought and yes, I'm from Austria.
Instead of using an Asus board you recommend switching to Supermirco - what about the Supermicro X10SLL-F bulk?
And I'll go with the Sea Sonic G-Series G-360 - thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's a very good alternative. If you can get the X10SLL+-F (should be like $10 more) that's even better.

alpinux

Cadet
I'll go for the Supermicro X10SLL-F bulk.
The x10sll+f costs here in europe - as far as i can see - a premium of around 40 euro ~ 55 usd over the x10sll-f.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account

AlainD

Contributor
Avoid bequiet PSUs like the plague. They're not particularly quiet and some of them are quite dangerous.

Get a Seasonic G-360, or, if money is tight, a Corsair CX 430.

Also, Supermicro motherboards are quite a bit better than the one you chose - and probably cheaper, judging by the last time I shopped around for Asus "server" boards.
Hi

Can you give a hint about the dangerous part of some bequiet PSU's?

The Seasonic G-360 seems indeed a big win.

Starpulkka

Contributor
"The manufacturer of this unit and of all L8 units, modular and non-modular, is HEC/Compucase. A company with a tradition in low cost PSUs
Looks like its uses teapos made capacitors from Taiwan or China."

What is funny bequiet says that FSP group have made their psu, and techpowerup says its HEC. Either way if i have to guess where in the firm that psu have made it drives me away from it.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/PurePower_L8_500W/4.html
And that bequiet HEC made one failed hold-up time test, so thats that. Of course if those psu's are made from differend factory today results might be differed, BUT i hate quessing work. Ps. look seasonic voltage regulation deviation % at same page and you starting to understand why seasonic makes decend psu's.
Ofcourse i know 2 cases that even seasonic have failed, but in sametime it has saved other hardware.

Edit: Ah 300w are made FSP and 500w+ are made HEC, but both still uses teapos.. teapos sometimes fail but still you can have better in the market than what Pure Power L8 offers ..

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi

Can you give a hint about the dangerous part of some bequiet PSU's?

The Seasonic G-360 seems indeed a big win.

Some reviews of them have revealed serious quality issues. Unfortunately, I don't have any links handy.

Starpulkka is right, though. If I have to guess the manufacturer, I'd rather stay away from it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, that ram supports ecc, but i'll go for the Crucial DIMM 8GB, DDR3-1600, CL11 (CT102464BA160B), as they should work too (according to Ericloewe http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-ram-decision.22692/page-2#post-138428) and are a lot cheaper here.

Hold it right there! I never recommended that model!

You'd want Crucial CT102472BD160B - however, please be aware that it is not listed for the Supermicro X10SLL-F. For more information, please read the Supermicro X10 RAM sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.