BUILD One last check before buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

izdininikas

Cadet
Hi, am totally new to FreeNAS and NAS all together so i have spend about a week reading different guides and looking at different hardware configurations/reviews and i think i am ready to make an order. Could you please take a look so no major error goes unnoticed?

I will be setting this as 1x vdev (6x3TB) in RAIDZ2.

5 x Western Digital WD Red 3TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s (WD30EFRX)
1 x Intel Core i3-4130, 2x 3.40GHz, boxed (BX80646I34130)
2 x Samsung DIMM 8GB, DDR3-1600, CL11, reg ECC (M393B1G70QH0-CK0)
1 x Supermicro X10SLM-F retail (MBD-X10SLM-F-O)
1 x Noctua NH-L9i
1 x Fractal Design Node 804 mit Sichtfenster (FD-CA-NODE-804-BL-W)
1 x SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB, USB 3.0 (SDCZ43-016G-G46)
1 x be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W ATX 2.4 (E10-400W/BN230)
1 x APC Back-UPS 700VA, USB (BX700UI)

I intend to use it as File Server, Plex server ( max 2 1080p streams at the same time),
SABnzbd + SickBeard + CouchPotato, and Owncloud.

I already now that more RAM would be recommended as I am already over the budget no additional costs can be tolerated.

The total price is 1280 EUR.

Any help is greatly appreciated

joeschmuck

Old Man
What I like about your build is you factored in an UPS. As for your RAM, 16GB is fine for what you plan to do.

The CPU Box that you specified already comes with a CPU cooler in the box. Unless you need to use something else (not sure if the case requires this heatsink/fan size), I'd stick with the boxed version. I know my AMD boxed cooler is silent, can't imagine Intel would let AMD beat them on this aspect.

EDIT: You listed that you wanted a six 3TB drives yet you are ordering 5 drives?

Last edited:

izdininikas

Cadet
What I like about your build is you factored in an UPS. As for your RAM, 16GB is fine for what you plan to do.

The CPU Box that you specified already comes with a CPU cooler in the box. Unless you need to use something else (not sure if the case requires this heatsink/fan size), I'd stick with the boxed version. I know my AMD boxed cooler is silent, can't imagine Intel would let AMD beat them on this aspect.

EDIT: You listed that you wanted a six 3TB drives yet you are ordering 5 drives?

Thank you greatly for your input. I agree with you on CPU cooler. I can be quite quickly annoyed by fan sounds so I i usually use liquid cooling + silent fans for my desktop builds. But as i am planning to keep my NAS away from the living space, your advice is helpful.

As for 6 HDDs, I forgot to mention that I already own 1x 3TB WD Red .

5 x Western Digital WD Red 3TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s (WD30EFRX)
1 x Intel Core i3-4130, 2x 3.40GHz, boxed (BX80646I34130)
2 x Samsung DIMM 8GB, DDR3-1600, CL11, reg ECC (M393B1G70QH0-CK0)
1 x Supermicro X10SLM-F retail (MBD-X10SLM-F-O)
0 x Noctua NH-L9i
1 x Fractal Design Node 804 mit Sichtfenster (FD-CA-NODE-804-BL-W)
1 x SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB, USB 3.0 (SDCZ43-016G-G46)
1 x be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W ATX 2.4 (E10-400W/BN230)
1 x APC Back-UPS 700VA, USB (BX700UI)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Also, I have one of these SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB devices but use it to hold music for my truck stereo unit to read from. Mine gets fairly warm but I'm not going to tell you that it is a problem, and since you are purchasing the 16GB version, the internal components could be completely different. It is very small and I like mine although I have never used it in my FreeNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd just go with a better PSU, like a Seasonic G-450.

Otherwise, it looks good. Consider getting two boot devices so you can mirror them. USB flash drives can be rather unreliable.

izdininikas

Cadet
I'd just go with a better PSU, like a Seasonic G-450.

Otherwise, it looks good. Consider getting two boot devices so you can mirror them. USB flash drives can be rather unreliable.

I am not familiar with boot mirroring. As i understand after searching the main advantage over reinstalling FreeNAS on a new boot disk and importing backup config is reduced down times (Reference http://ylchang.blogspot.com/2013/08/raid-1-mirror-on-freenas-boot-disk.html ). As it almost doesn't affect the price, I will definitely look into it, thank you a lot.

As for the PSU, be quiet! it is highly regarded in Europe (the company is based in Germany) . So as I will not be needing modular PSU, i think it will suffice.

izdininikas

Cadet
Also, I have one of these SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB devices but use it to hold music for my truck stereo unit to read from. Mine gets fairly warm but I'm not going to tell you that it is a problem, and since you are purchasing the 16GB version, the internal components could be completely different. It is very small and I like mine although I have never used it in my FreeNAS.

I think you have a good point. As the surface area of the drive is small it takes longer to cool in comparison with usb drive with larger area where the heat is distributed and not concentrated (of course one should take into account the material and design). I don't think there are many data on that, but intuitively this should reduce the lifespan of the drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not familiar with boot mirroring. As i understand after searching the main advantage over reinstalling FreeNAS on a new boot disk and importing backup config is reduced down times...
The main advantage (I believe) is that you can loss one boot device and still be okay. Think of it like your hard drive array. Loss one hard drive and your still okay. Just have to get a new USB and resilver.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

DataKeeper

Patron
Definitely order 2 of the Sandisks to mirror each other. Nothing to look into.. Pop both in and during install simply select both drives and hit next. Thats it. Very cheap insurance in case one dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.