Status
Not open for further replies.
What's going on everyone. I'm a new member to the FreeNAS forums but not to forums in general. Looking to learn a ton of information and grow in this community. I have some background with building computers, and networking however have not done a ton of stuff over the years as I have got out of computers and into medicine but looking to gain some knowledge for my purposes at hand.

Currently running a Lenovo touchscreen as my main computer for basic stuff for my family and I (ACPI x64 based PC with 1TB HDD, i5-4460T @1.90GHz cpu, Wireless LAN 802.11ac network adapter, and 8gb memory) running windows 8.1.

I'm looking to add a NAS store system to house data back ups from my computer, devices - own personal cloud (3 x iphones, 2 x ipads, and to store my media (ie. music and vast bluray/dvd videos) What would be a good system for this function? Obviously not looking to drain the bank in the process however...

Then I"m also looking to possibly have a 2nd system to run plex media server to handle the transcoding and delivery to my devices. Would more than likely mostly be used in house as direct play (tv's) with the occassional external viewing (traveling to view on ipads, iphones, etc).

Would I be better off building a system with a dedicated system HDD like a SSD to handle the computing/os requirements and then have multiple HDD's setup in a RAID (assuming RAID 1 or redundancy?) all in one box? or would it be better to have a small system running the plex stuff and have a connected NAS?

Any links to info would be great.

Thanks everyone

I also should note that I'm very familiar with Windows environments. Very very unknowledgable of linux however am willing to learn if linux is a better NAS/Plex format to run. FreeNAS seems to be a solid platform to run or my NAS requirements. How is it with handling Plex requirements? Trying to learn any and all information as I can before diving in and buying equiptment and getting started.

Any websites/books worth checking out to have on hand for these environments?

It should be noted that I want this system to be monitorless that way I can just remote into it from my main computer to transfer data and pull data from it for space needs as I don't have a big desk to run dual monitors.

Thanks

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

Don't worry about your lack of Linux knowledge - FreeNAS is based on Unix. And, it's an appliance where most everything you configure is should be done from the web gui.

Please see the forum sticky regarding recommended hardware. If you buy/build a server class Supermicro system, it will probably include IPMI which will allow you to run the server headless (i.e. w/o monitor, keyboard, etc).

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.