Hello FreeNAS community :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hello FreeNAS Community,

I want to say hello to all and tell you something about my way to FreeNAS.

I am looking for a file server for month and read a lot of whitepapers, explanations and user feedback. I was looking for an easy way, to store my personal data offsite from my home pc (same building, but out of range). First of all, I thought about Synology and QNAP, but at the end of the day, they are too expensive and a lot of the features the OS offers me, I wouldn’t ever use. So I am building computer since I am 13, and I am working as an Oracle DBA and was administrating NetApp servers for 6 month. So why should I not build a NAS by myself? No problem I thought, go with an AM1 system from AMD with low-cost design. But later, I was looking for the right OS. I was getting closer and closer to the FreeNAS-Forum and I read a lot of thing here. Especially to the ZFS Primer post and the posts from “cyberjock”. So ECC RAM becomes a must and I was searching for hardware. At the end of the day, I bought a Dell T20 which was recommended for my use-case (16GB DDR3 RAM, Intel XEON E3-1225v3). Right now I have a 1:1 backup. I am using Windows 10 and for backups a Nas4Free Server. But at the moment, I do not have a really disk redundancy, only the backup I rely on.

So my plan is to make the backup on all the disks I currently own, but not with a RAID, because they all have different sizes and JBOD would bring me to death. No I think about the Windows Storage Pools, which I have tested in a VM. I could bring different disks into an array with 1 disk could fail. I think, its only backup, so do I really need that?

Then I have to think about the configuration on the NAS itself. As cyberjock mentioned with the URE every 10^-14, RAID5/RAIDZ1 is dead since 2009. But there are 2 possibilities I think about, and I would really like to hear you thoughts about that (I don’t want to go to RAID6/RAIDZ2). First, go with RAIDZ1 with Seagate IronWolf NAS HDD, who has an URE possibility every 10^-15, which sounds really good to me. Or I go without parity and put every disk to its own pool, so when I was losing a disk because of reasons, I could access all other data and could recover the data from the backup.

From FreeNAS side I want to start with FreeNAS 10, because it’s new from scratch and I don’t want to stay at old 9.10, and then go a month later to 10 ;) (Learning a new interface and so on)

The only thing I got stomach pain with, is the thing that I read from a lot of people, who are losing their z-pool. I am fit on the CLI but I do not trust me for 100% on the command line in case of a lost pool or disk failure. And for that, I would be really happy, if I can count on a good community, when I got into errors (hopefully not).

So that’s it from my side, just want to say HELLO :)

(when there is anything you can’t understand – sorry, English is not my native language)

Status
Not open for further replies.