Joined the community - hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

txNgineer

Cadet
Hi all,
I am new to the forum but have been running FreeNAS for about 2 years. It is a fantastic product with many capabilities. Of course the vast capabilities have made the learning curve a little steep, but I think I am now "getting the concept down". My move to FreeNAS was a cautious one because even though I like living near "the bleeding edge" in technology, I am slow to move my production environment until I am both knowledgeable in its administration and confident in its stability. Some people have even described my systems as having "belt and braces" because of my insistence on having no single point of failure. Sometimes that cannot be helped (like my sole choice of internet provider), but it is something I dislike a lot.
My current interest focus for FreeNAS is learning enough about how the zfs file system works that I could recover the system from a hardware (not drive) failure. I also want to learn how to migrate the system to new hardware (mobo, cpu, etc.) since the setup I have (Supermicro server mobo with Xeon CPU) is beginning to show its age and cannot keep up with some of the new stream transcoding I would like it to handle.

For all of you who volunteer to keep this project open and vibrant -- Many great thanks and I wish you a healthy and prosperous new year.

txNgineer (west Houston, Tx)

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
My father was born in the Great State of Texas, and I've got family there. Welcome!

chris crude

Patron
Hi all,
I also want to learn how to migrate the system to new hardware (mobo, cpu, etc.) since the setup I have (Supermicro server mobo with Xeon CPU) is beginning to show its age and cannot keep up with some of the new stream transcoding I would like it to handle.

I just replaced aged hardware a week ago. Swapped old mobo, cpu and ram with new. It couldn't be easier. details here https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/upgrade-from-my-initial-trial-build.47578/

Status
Not open for further replies.