FreeNAS and Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
They added support in the new player app (plex pass only) but the server still doesn't support direct streaming of h.265 content. It's a limit of ffmpeg version they are using and until that's updated they're stuck with what they have. It's been discussed many times in the Plex forums.

ETA: I was wrong, the server does now support direct stream of h.265 as long as the client supports it. I must have been asleep at the wheel.......

RemyZ

Contributor
Had to dig around for the vender specifically stating support so here goes
I am assuming the Plex Media Server supports h.265 already. There has been a recent split on software between Plex Home Theator (Based on XBMC) which is no longer being developed for and Plex Media Player. The dev team will continue to provide support for bugs etc for PHT but continue to develop new features into PMP. PMP does support 4K and h.265 format. Details listed here https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/ar...Media-Player-and-Plex-Home-Theater-different-

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The biggest hurdle is going to be finding a client that supports h.265 decoding in hardware that will fit your needs. If you really want to future proof start looking into 4K 10 bit hardware decoding support for both HVEC and AVC9 with HDCP 2.2 support.

RemyZ

Contributor
The Roku player supports all of that with jus one limitation 4K 8bit encoding so no HDR......hopefully CES 2016 new players/clients get introduced if not then i will start creating two versions of media mp4 h.264 and h.265 and drop the old later on

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.