Transition from windows to FreeNAS - n54l - media box - HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wako

Cadet
Hi, Im new to the whole RAID thing,

1st off I have a HP N54L microserver with 2 3tb WD reds drives
I have bought 2 more 3tb WD reds, and want to use RAID5 so I can have one drive fail and not loose all my data
I use mainly to store all media on and stream though house via Tv's and Projector and have installed a video card for playback on Tv Next to it

Is there a way / can it be done, from Win 8.1 - FreeNAS

SAB - Save all settings, And re-instate after installing FreeNAS
CouchPotato - Same as Above
Utorrent - Same as Above
SONARR - Save all settings, Library Structure And re-instate after installing FreeNAS

Just to save some time

Is there a way to use Kodi and FreeNAS from the N54L somehow ?

Thanks In Advance

yumcimil

Dabbler
Quick answer: No.

Longer answer: Noooooooooo.

The server-based stuff you can recreate on FN, but direct media playback is not going to be your friend.

marbus90

Guru
raidz1 wouldn't protect you against a disk failure - you'll need at least 1 drive to ensure integrity of the array. If one disk fails completely, you'll lose best case some files, worst case the whole array.

Neccessary ressources for kody: http://kodi.wiki/view/BSD - doesn't look like it's supported via native BSD, so you'd need to install the linux kernel module for jails and pray that it works.

Most of the other pieces should run on FN without much trouble.

J

jkh

There is no way to "transition" - build the new box properly and from scratch, then copy your data over a network link. Unless you have all of your data on a single NTFS disk and use the "Import Disk" feature, it's just not possible to do it any other way (assuming you can't just give up on the existing data).

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
raidz1 wouldn't protect you against a disk failure - you'll need at least 1 drive to ensure integrity of the array. If one disk fails completely, you'll lose best case some files, worst case the whole array.

Neccessary ressources for kody: http://kodi.wiki/view/BSD - doesn't look like it's supported via native BSD, so you'd need to install the linux kernel module for jails and pray that it works.

Most of the other pieces should run on FN without much trouble.
Um. Raidz1 DOES offer exactly one disk for parity...but raidz1 is a horrible idea with the larger disks. Raid 5 and raidz1 are going the way of the dodo.

ewhac

Contributor
Quick answer: No.

Longer answer: Noooooooooo.
Were we thinking of the same review (seek to 0:42)?

Returning to the original topic: The N54L will serve admirably as a basic NAS with maybe one or two small media plugins such as ReadyMedia (née minidlna). However, there isn't really enough CPU power in there to do any kind of major transcoding, let alone to multiple clients. And if you want to stuff 12TB of spindles in there, then you should look for the exact right model of Kingston DIMMs that will let you get up to 16 GiB of ECC RAM, because the N54L's nominal maximum of 8 GiB won't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.