HP N54L upgrade / replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmless Drudge

Dabbler
I've been running an HP N54L with 16Gb ECC ram for a few years, currently with 5x2Tb drives. The AMD Turion II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor is fine for running this as a storage appliance but underpowered for hosting any virtual machines, which I'd like to do when FreeNAS 10 is released.

Currently I run Plex on an HTPC and a few things such as Baikal on my Synology DS413. Neither is up to running any VMs and the Synology isn't up to Plex transcoding.

I may end up buying another Microserver and migrating the drives.

This: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6364-n54l-motherboard-upgrade/ doesn't look too promising, but it's years ago and maybe there's an option I don't know about.

Other options: buying a 2nd hand server on eBay? Build from scratch?

Use case is just as a domestic NAS for 1 household; backup of 4 computers; back end for CCTV security system with 2 cameras; Plex transcoding; and a few docker instances.

It will live in a basement so noise isn't too important but low electricity consumption preferred over performance -- as long as it's good enough for media functions.

Should I act now and be ready for FreeNAS 10 or wait? (I have no idea now long).

If I can do this for not too much I'll use FreeNAS 10 as my main NAS and switch the Synology to backup. The N54L was quite a bargain. It cost me something like $220, most of which was for the 16Gb ECC memory -- I had the drives already (a mixture of different things, since swapped out when I upgraded the DS413 from 2Tb drives to 3Tb WD Reds).

While I'm at it: the main Synology app I use is Surveillance Station. I am not happy with its ability to support Linux and am keen to switch to an open source solution (e.g. Zoneminder). Comments or advice on using FreeNAS (9.10 or 10) with an open source CCTV solution would be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.