Network not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Yes sure, I will contact the data center for getting more infos on the hardware. I will post it right there. Also yes changing Bios settings solve the problem but the issue fixed by doing this is the USB key for the OS, the NIC is still problematic.
I'm just curious,

Does is this hardware belong to you? Do you pay them for physical administration of the machine?
If you don't care to share this with us, tell me to mind my own business and I'll quit asking :oops:

It's just that this seems to be so unusual of a circumstance, I've hung out here for about two years
and have heard of admins who administer remote machines from distance, but the access to the
server's files are on the local network. The admin only needs remote access for maint. tasks
and (even just that) is hard to setup in a secure method.

As pirateghost has mentioned, running a public facing FreeNAS server is a bad idea.

I'm just curious,

Does is this hardware belong to you? Do you pay them for physical administration of the machine?
If you don't care to share this with us, tell me to mind my own business and I'll quit asking :oops:

It's just that this seems to be so unusual of a circumstance, I've hung out here for about two years
and have heard of admins who administer remote machines from distance, but the access to the
server's files are on the local network. The admin only needs remote access for maint. tasks
and (even just that) is hard to setup in a secure method.

As pirateghost has mentioned, running a public facing FreeNAS server is a bad idea.

Hi,

I will change my access methode for my dedicaded server, what do you think of secure FTP for files transferts? Which one to use: FTPS or FTPES and for managing the server I can use for sure SSH on port 22.

Also for respond the BigDave question:

No the hardware is not owned by me, its OVH Canada owning the hardware. I just rent the server.
I manage myself the hardware/server, I do not have a management plan with OVH.

Don't worry, I don't mind to share these info with the FreeNAS communauty, that will allow to be able to find the root of the issue.

Also, I have contacted my provider, OVH, for getting hardware info of the server, I wait for their reply.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hi,

I will change my access methode for my dedicaded server, what do you think of secure FTP for files transferts? Which one to use: FTPS or FTPES and for managing the server I can use for sure SSH on port 22.

Also for respond the BigDave question:

No the hardware is not owned by me, its OVH Canada owning the hardware. I just rent the server.
I manage myself the hardware/server, I do not have a management plan with OVH.

Don't worry, I don't mind to share these info with the FreeNAS communauty, that will allow to be able to find the root of the issue.

Also, I have contacted my provider, OVH, for getting hardware info of the server, I wait for their reply.

Ftp is not secure.

Ssh access will only allow you to manage the cli stuff. Your web GUI is still going to be exposed.

I will repeat myself because it doesn't seem like you understand.

This is a bad idea. Period. Stop. Full stop.

I know my friend its a bad idea but I need to do this, I have not so many choices. My appartment is too hot in the summer, even with AC running for keep my HDDs cool enought for avoiding failure. Last summer, the HDD temp goes to 44 C, there was only 1 HDD in my server, imagine with my Norco case full with 24 HDDs. That will be too hot for sure.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You have a choice to not open up your NAS to the world to rape, pillage, and plunder.

It seems like you are doing this because you feel like it's your only option.

Step back and evaluate your situation.

Do you really need a NAS or is it just something you want?

If it's something you really need or want, maybe it's worth investing in some air conditioning units to help cool it.

You absolutely should not host a freenas on a publicly accessible server. There are a host of other options for using your rented server. Freenas isn't appropriate in this situation

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Which one to use: FTPS or FTPES and for managing the server I can use for sure SSH on port 22.
When you have SSH, you have SFTP, so you don't even have to think about alternatives.

But I agree with the others who say FreeNAS is not the right tool for this job.

Yep, I have continued the setup of my FreeNAS server at my place, the devil can take out my dedicaded server at OVH, if there was a fire at my place, I have a backup at my parents house in another town with all my in house FreeNAS servers data. :tongue:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Yep, I have continued the setup of my FreeNAS server at my place, the devil can take out my dedicaded server at OVH, if there was a fire at my place, I have a backup at my parents house in another town with all my in house FreeNAS servers data. :p
set up a freenas box at your parents, use a VPN, and use ZFS replication to the other server for backup purposes.

Hey its a good idea! But im not sure my parents will love this idea like me as a 24 bay plus two time 8 bay will need to be plugged 24/7, you don't know my father, he will saids for sure, "This will take so much power and will cost me a lot". LOL

Instead I will continute to: a. bring a hdd to my place, b. update the new data on it, c. return it to my parents house.

Absolutely 100%. You should not be running an insecure freenas install in a data center and accessing remotely via ftp, http. Accessing via ssh is more secure but having the web GUI enabled and on a public IP is stupid unless it is protected behind a proper firewall.

You keep mentioning fire, theft, etc in your apartment, but that's why you have BACKUPS somewhere offsite. Crashplan is a good solution for this. But running a public facing freenas is NOT a good idea.

Hi pirateghost!

Can you please tell me more about Crash Plan? It look like interesting! There was a tutorial to install that plugin on FreeNAS?

Ok, I found some tutorials but im simply not able to turn on the Crash Plan plugin, an error occur. I do not also see the TOS dialog box. Need help please.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ok, I found some tutorials but im simply not able to turn on the Crash Plan plugin, an error occur. I do not also see the TOS dialog box. Need help please.
Just like the tutorials tell you, you have to click on the crashplan plugin on the LEFT side of the FreeNAS GUI....then you get the TOS

The only issue I have with this step is I cannot see the "Crash Plan plugin on the left side of the FreeNAS GUI. I saw "Plugins" but I don't have the "+" for expand it.

Attachments

• Image Mac 1 2015-11-07 23-05-30.png
    Image Mac 1 2015-11-07 23-05-30.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 235

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
works fine here. Try reloading your page

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-11-07 22-10-12.png
    Screenshot from 2015-11-07 22-10-12.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 225
@pirateghost No, you should not need to doing this for me. I will do this and if I have other questions, I will come back here. Thanks and have a great night!

I found it but it not helping me at all, when I to edit /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf , yes it open editor but its look like if the file does not exist.

Argggghh! Im totaly lost... I will continute to use Google Drive Unlimited instead and forget about my FreeNAS box. To complicated for me.

Hey! Thanks a lot for your help and your patience!

Guillaume

Status
Not open for further replies.