Network not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have setup FreeNAS on a dedicaded server and when FreeNAS is installed, I got a message saying no configured interface were found and I can try manualy. The problem is when I press 1 it saids only to press q to quit.

I seriously need help with this.

Thanks,

Guillaume

Attachments

• capture 1.jpg
    capture 1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 680

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
FreeNAS can not configure manually or otherwise what it does not "see".
What you describe sounds like your NICs are not enabled in the bios/UEFI,
or the NICs are not supported hardware.
Would you please post your hardware specs!

Hi,

For the specs, how I can found them, its a dedicaded server and I don't know exacly all what it contain. Also, if you look at the capture, did you find something wrong in the BIOS?

Attachments

• network 1.jpg
    network 1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 700

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Can you post the results of "camcontrol devlist"?
In code tags please.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What do you mean you don't know what hardware is in it? Is this server sitting in a data center somewhere? You said dedicated like you don't physically have the server and its hosted somewhere. How do you expect to use this server if you don't have it sitting in your network?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'm so sorry, not fully awake yet, I mean "dmidecode" NOT camcontrol!

gpsguy

You need to ask your datacenter/colo/whatever for the detailed hardware specifications.

Frankly, although you've explained it in several threads, about the possibility of your fire, theft, etc. in your apartment, like @pirateghost 's reply, I don't know how you plan to access the server?

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your replies! Its very apreciate!

For acces the server, its very simple: FTP for data and HTTP for manage the Web GUI and finally SSH also.

I use FTP since ever and never got issues :)

I will come back with the result of the hardware.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
FTP is the worst protocol you can use over the internet.

Opening up your GUI to the internet also ranks up there with one of the worst things you can do with your NAS....

Based on your post history, I'm inclined to think that you have a lot of homework to do

Ok so, I do the command and since its a IPMI, I cannot just copy the return code but I do a screen shot. Some part above missing.

Attachments

• hardware 1.jpg
    hardware 1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 645
Hum, Im not sure at 100% the screen shot above can help but what kind of information you need about the server?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I take it you will refuse to heed any warnings about this configuration?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Ok so, I do the command and since its a IPMI, I cannot just copy the return code but I do a screen shot. Some part above missing.
From what I read in your other thread, you have solved the NIC recognition problem
by changing your bios settings, correct?
Having only IPMI access at this time makes sharing the info with us too difficult at this time. Perhaps
as gpsguy suggested, you could contact your data center and get the hardware info that way, sorry!
Good luck with your setup and keep a backup of your data, I have a feeling, you're going to need it...

I take it you will refuse to heed any warnings about this configuration?

I would like to follow your reccomendations but I don't want to use NFS or SAMBA, I prefer FTP, but I will certainly use secure FTP in the future, im just not ready.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I would like to follow your reccomendations but I don't want to use NFS or SAMBA, I prefer FTP, but I will certainly use secure FTP in the future, im just not ready.
Then you should not be attempting to put your NAS in a data center....

You are seriously putting your data at risk. I have a feeling the Russians or Chinese will be pounding on your NAS soon....

From what I read in your other thread, you have solved the NIC recognition problem
by changing your bios settings, correct?
Having only IPMI access at this time makes sharing the info with us too difficult at this time. Perhaps
as gpsguy suggested, you could contact your data center and get the hardware info that way, sorry!
Good luck with your setup and keep a backup of your data, I have a feeling, you're going to need it...

Yes sure, I will contact the data center for getting more infos on the hardware. I will post it right there. Also yes changing Bios settings solve the problem but the issue fixed by doing this is the USB key for the OS, the NIC is still problematic.

Then you should not be attempting to put your NAS in a data center....

You are seriously putting your data at risk. I have a feeling the Russians or Chinese will be pounding on your NAS soon....

Chineses, yes I know they are hard on the data... :) (Russians also by the way). Putting NAS on my home network can be safer? I don't know I asking...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Oh yeah I understand. Did you reccomand to use my NAS on my own home network?
Absolutely 100%. You should not be running an insecure freenas install in a data center and accessing remotely via ftp, http. Accessing via ssh is more secure but having the web GUI enabled and on a public IP is stupid unless it is protected behind a proper firewall.

You keep mentioning fire, theft, etc in your apartment, but that's why you have BACKUPS somewhere offsite. Crashplan is a good solution for this. But running a public facing freenas is NOT a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.