NetData persistent config

Meyers

Patron
NetData likes to send out a ton of alerts during scrub times. I know how to disable them but the config gets overwritten on each upgrade. Is there any way to store persistent configuration for NetData?

OneHungryPoboy

Dabbler
I am seeing similar issues. I update the ram.conf file to silence them, after rebooting the server to read the new .conf I find they have been overwritten back to sysadmin reporting.

MikeyG

Patron
I was trying to disable all emails from NetData. One of these seems to have been persistent:

/usr/local/etc/netdata/health_alarm_notify.conf
/usr/local/etc/netdata/netdata.conf
/conf/base/etc/local/netdata.conf

I would love an official answer but when I posted previously, the advice I got was "don't use NetData."

Meyers

Patron
I would love an official answer but when I posted previously, the advice I got was "don't use NetData."

OK sweet. I didn't dig into this too much because I'm so busy. But this was super easy to test. I edited the /usr/local path before and it was overwritten on reboot / upgrade, so I tried the /conf/base path and sure enough, my changes persist (and are replicated to /usr/local).

So it looks like the answer is this: edit /conf/base/etc/local/netdata.conf and change "health = no" to disable NetData alerts. This will persist on reboots.

Now I will test upgrading to see if this file is overwritten.

Meyers

Patron
Actually I think both of these have to be edited:

/usr/local appears to be the running config path. /conf/base appears to be the persistent configuration path.

I'm upgrading the system from 11.1 to 11.2 now to see if the config gets overwritten. There's a problem with 11.2 and these USB drives so it's taking forever. I'll post an update when it's done.

Meyers

Patron
Yep so the upgrade overwrote that file as I kind of expected. So /conf/base persists between reboots but not upgrades. I'll probably use Ansible to roll out configs like this after an upgrade.

Joe Gorse

Cadet
I was trying to disable all emails from NetData. One of these seems to have been persistent:

/usr/local/etc/netdata/health_alarm_notify.conf

What is the alternative?

MikeyG

Patron
Not sure. I haven't had this problem in a few years now. I think something changed in the plugin a few versions back.