Netdata Parent and/or Cloud?

alexmarkley

Dabbler
I just upgraded to Cobia 23.10.0, and I am looking forward to the benefits of the new Netdata metrics.

Is there any supported (or unsupported, but non-destructive) way to send this node's Netdata stream to a Netdata Parent and/or link it to the Netdata Cloud?

I have a Netdata Parent node on my network, and it would be fantastic if I could just add a few lines of configuration to my Cobia Netdata configuration to enable it as a child and stream data to the parent.

mervincm

Contributor
me too please!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I just upgraded to Cobia 23.10.0, and I am looking forward to the benefits of the new Netdata metrics.

Is there any supported (or unsupported, but non-destructive) way to send this node's Netdata stream to a Netdata Parent and/or link it to the Netdata Cloud?

I have a Netdata Parent node on my network, and it would be fantastic if I could just add a few lines of configuration to my Cobia Netdata configuration to enable it as a child and stream data to the parent.
Sounds like a reasonable enhancement request. Feel free to file a jira ticket (assuming we don't expose such capabilities).

mervincm

Contributor
The build notes say that netdata backend support is included. There always was a package so if this is not what they were talking about, I wonder what was included

alexmarkley

Dabbler
The build notes say that netdata backend support is included.

I see netdata running, so it is definitely collecting the data using the netdata backend. Netdata also natively supports streaming that data to collectors running on other nodes, so that's what I'm hoping to get working.

Sounds like a reasonable enhancement request. Feel free to file a jira ticket (assuming we don't expose such capabilities).

I'm hoping I just overlooked it somewhere in the console settings. If it's truly not supported yet, I'll gladly open a ticket.

alexmarkley

Dabbler

mervincm

Contributor
Since they added the back-end support as a default, they must have anticipated people would want to connect to it, and take advantage of it in some way. Is there any notes or communication on what they did / why they did / how to use it?

I suppose it is possible it was done to enhance the native NetData package in some way.

vkuznecovas

Cadet
I've spent some time trying to figure out a way to achieve this and it is possible using the Netdata app on SCALE.

The original Netdata that comes preinstalled with the SCALE installation is a rather old one and there seems to be a streaming bug with that particular version at least that's what my experimentation suggest.

To go around that, first install the Netdata app on your SCALE installation. Then, open a shell on the app. From there open /etc/netdata/stream.conf with your favorite text editor. Create it if does not exist. Use the following contents, obviously replacing destination to point to your parent & your streaming api key from the parent:

Code:
[stream]
  enabled = yes
  destination = 192.168.1.1:19999
  api key = 11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555
  timeout seconds = 60
  buffer size bytes = 1048576
  reconnect delay seconds = 5
  initial clock resync iterations = 60

Exit shell, restart the app(stop & start). You should now see the node on your parent Netdata. This works because the app uses a newer version of Netdata.

In essence you end up with 2 installs of netdata and ideally we'd be able to use the preinstalled one for this, but for now this is the best we can do.

I've a more detailed explanation on my blog