Needing a lot of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

b23norris

Cadet
So I had an old computer that I changed over to a FreeNAS system. I have everything working (kinda) and am able to move files over from my laptop to the system. If I have the FreeNAS running on the dedicated computer for a few hours, I loose internet connection to all computers, I can ping sites in cmd but when I open a browser it will not go to any websites. I unplug my router and plug it back in and it works just fine for a few more hours. If I turn the FreeNAS computer off and keep it off, I can have access to internet on all computers for weeks with no interruptions. That is situation 1. The next one is I have owncloud set up and I am able to access it as long as I'm on the same network, I am trying to figure out how I can access my owncloud if I am somewhere else and needing a file or something on it. I have looked for a few days on how to do this it seems simple but there are no real detailed instructions on how to actually to set it up. I am running FreeNAS 9.10 the latest version. I know you will need more information on how the settings are set up and all but I figured I would just start here and will provide the information as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
You really need to post the specs of your FreeNAS computer per our forum rules, include the model number of the NIC. I suspect that your hardware does not meet the minimum specifications for running FreeNAS. Unfortunately we do run across things like this often but then again this may not be your case.

Assuming your hardware is up to snuff, I'd recommend replacing the Ethernet cable connecting your FreeNAS system to your network as a first step.

joeschmuck

Old Man
As for the Own Cloud thing, I have never run it so I can't help you there, however it sounds like you haven't opened up your firewall properly. If this is new stuff to you then I highly recommend you read up on how to setup your firewall because one wrong move and your entire network could be on the open internet.

EunosNB

Dabbler
Echoing Mr. Schmuck, you can access owncloud outside your LAN with a vanilla port forward and a username/pwd combo. However, doing so is *strongly* discouraged, unless you want the Russian mafia or Chinese government to use your box to rig elections and peddle dubious ED medicines.

I've forgotten what I needed to do to set up my owncloud instance, but I know I followed instructions I found on these forums. IIRC, it is a matter of determining on which port the owncloud instance is listening.

Maybe I can be more helpful later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

melloa

Wizard
I unplug my router and plug it back in and it works just fine for a few more hours.

It seems a network issue to me. Not specifically FreeNAS related.

I unplug my router and plug it back in and it works just fine for a few more hours.

Again point to your network -- router, DHCP, etc.

I am trying to figure out how I can access my owncloud if I am somewhere else and needing a file or something on it.

As @EunosNB said that's easily done. You only need to set your OC on a static IP and NAT the OC port. Be aware of implications of doing that.

You really need to post the specs of your FreeNAS computer per our forum rules, include the model number of the NIC.

Let's start with above and please add to that your router and network information.

[]'s

gpsguy

I would focus on problem #1 first.

Did you open any ports or do port forwarding on your router, while trying to get Owncloud working? If so, disable that stuff for the time being.

Is FreeNAS getting its IP address via DHCP or did you set a static address? If the latter and it's done incorrectly it can cause problems.

b23norris

Cadet
For time being I will say this. I was having i

FreeNAS system, It’s an old Dell Dimension 9100. 4 gb Ram. Here is a link for the specs on the system. http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-9100_service manual_en-us.pdf
The Ethernet cable I don't see it being a problem because I can move it to a different computer and not have any issues with loosing internet access.

I have 10 GB Hard drive with the FreeNAS software installed on it. A two 160 Gb Hard drives installed.

I do have static ip for the FreeNAS set up through the router. I did have some IP addresses trying to access they system but I changed the tcp port on SSH to a different port and not had the issue since.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
This "old computer" is woefully inadequate for FreeNAS. Do some reading and try appropriate hardware before venturing any further. The current system you are trying to utilize will cause you nothing but frustration.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This system should not be used with FreeNAS.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yup, definately inadequate hardware.

b23norris

Cadet
Is there a version of FreeNAS that would work with this system?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The main problem is that 4GB of RAM. Can that system accept 8GB?

However, that is not the cause of your main problem. It sounds to me like a network setup problem, possibly with the IP address of the FreeNAS system interfering with one of the others.

b23norris

Cadet
No it will only hold 4GB of RAM. I am just wanting to try to get something set up and mess around with it for a bit before I put the money out and purchase a full system.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
While you can install FreeNAS on that system for testing purposes only, I would hesitate to suggest you do so. You are likely to have strange oddities and things "just not working right" due to how little RAM it has. It's also an older system with it's performance inhibited by a FSB and older CPU.

I would hate to see a user turned off thinking FreeNAS was buggy by a bad experience from unsuitable hardware. If you can understand that may be the result then feel free to kick the tires with your current hardware understanding full well that your experience may not be the best.

EDIT:
I did have some IP addresses trying to access they system but I changed the tcp port on SSH to a different port and not had the issue since.
Do you have your FreeNAS IP address exposed to the internet?

Last edited:

gpsguy

Do you have another with 8GB+ of RAM that you could use for your testing?

Some of our users (myself included), do FreeNAS testing in a virtual environment. VMware has several free offerings, like: VMware Player (or ESXi). You'd install this software on a machine and it would allow you to run FreeNAS in a virtual environment.

While we still recommend a mininum of 8GB of RAM, you might be able to kick the tires with just 6GB.

I am just wanting to try to get something set up and mess around with it for a bit before I put the money out and purchase a full system.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is there a version of FreeNAS that would work with this system?
Yes. FreeNAS version 9.2.1.9 x86 will run on 4GB RAM. It was the last version produced which supports it.

http://download.freenas.org/9.2.1.9/RELEASE/x86/

Using this older version (by over 2 years) simply as a NAS with CIFS shares then it should be fine but if you plan to add to jails and such, do not expect a lot. Very few people used this version (x86) becasue of the limitations of the RAM.

joeschmuck

Old Man
No it will only hold 4GB of RAM. I am just wanting to try to get something set up and mess around with it for a bit before I put the money out and purchase a full system.
Sorry, I didn't read very well the last message you posted. The older version will give you a good idea about FreeNAS and how it operates. The GUI hasn't changed too much but you will never get to appreciate it fully until you can run with 8GB RAM and play with jails and plugins. Again, if a simple NAS is all you need then you can at least play with that.

Also, FreeNAS 10 has a completely different GUI feel from any previous FreeNAS version.

b23norris

Cadet
Yes. FreeNAS version 9.2.1.9 x86 will run on 4GB RAM. It was the last version produced which supports it.

http://download.freenas.org/9.2.1.9/RELEASE/x86/

Using this older version (by over 2 years) simply as a NAS with CIFS shares then it should be fine but if you plan to add to jails and such, do not expect a lot. Very few people used this version (x86) becasue of the limitations of the RAM.

Does this version of FreeNAS also work with owncloud? If you know. I really don't need anything fancy right now, just something to play around with. I am interested in the owncloud though, so I can access some of my files over the internet.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Does this version of FreeNAS also work with owncloud?
No. You'll need more capable hardware to use most of the plugins. Most of the plugins are only available on the X64 version of FreeNAS.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes. FreeNAS version 9.2.1.9 x86 will run on 4GB RAM.
Do we really want to advocate installing and running old outdated and no longer supported versions of FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.