Username or Password Incorrect

wgulker

Cadet
I setup my home FreeNAS a few months again. I boot the computer each week and back-up my primary computer to the FreeNAS computer I built. The FreeNAS and primary computer are plugged into the same router.

I moved around a few things in my office and booted the FreeNAS computer. I am not aware of changing anything. The computers are still plugged into the same router.

I tried to access the FreeNAS computer from my primary computer and I could not. The web GUI and mapped folders could not see the FreeNAS computer.

I plugged a display into my FreeNAS computer and noticed the IP change to 192.168.1.25. It was .33.

I changed the link on my primary computer to the new IP address. Not the FreeNAS login comes up however I get the message "Username or Password Incorrect". I reset the password on the FreeNAS computer using the console setup menu (option 7). Reboot both computers and still get the " Username or Password Incorrect" message. I also tried to "reset configuration to defaults" (option 8). I assume the administration login ID is admin.

I have searched the forums and manuals and connect find a solution.

Can someone help me log into my FreeNAS server from my primary computer?

wgulker

Cadet
Try logging in as root, not admin.

I also recommend that you use a static IP rather than DHCP for your server IP.
Basil, thanks again for your response the other day. As you suggested, I would like to set a static IP. I have a Netgear router that is using the range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. What should I use for a static IP. Should I use a number outside the DHCP range? Should I change the range of the DHCP on the router to something like 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200 and than assign a number like 192.168.1.201? Sorry for the basic questions.

That's a good question. There's nothing to stop you doing what you're suggesting. My personal preference is to set a lower limit on DHCP rather than and upper limit. My reasoning is as follows:
  1. Your router has a static IP and is already located at 192.168.1.1 so setting aside the first say 50 addresses for static IPs seems to make more sense.
  2. Devices with static addresses that I might frequently access, I put in the first block of 9 addresses. Why? That's two less digits to type e.g. 192.168.1.2 vs 192.168.1.202. For the other devices with static IPs, that's one less digit to type. Might sound silly, but if you're a two-finger typist like me and are prone to typing those addresses frequently, that will save a bit of extra typing and some time.

Last edited:

wgulker

Cadet
I took your advice and changed the DHCP range from 50-254 and assigned the server as 5. Thanks again. All is working well.

no_connection

Patron
I usually set dhcp range to x.x.x.100-x.x.x.200 just to get any dhcp client with 3 numbers and keep servers at 2 numbers and network gear at 1 number.
That way you can have static client in the 200+ range.
Also I like router to be .254 rather than .1.