Not open for further replies.

elkadyeslam

Dabbler
need help
i have no support in my country
i install freenas
on t7500 dell in my netcafe
4 * 1TB RAID 0 + 2 SSD 128G/ l2cash / 16 GB ECC RAM CIFS share
suddenly programs and some type of on-line game that need program read write function cant exquisite
on shell permeation R 777
i don't know what to do or who to ask for help
if it possible to make team viewer support

Nick2253

Wizard
4 * 1TB RAID 0 + 2 SSD 128G/ l2cash

Can you please elaborate on this? When you say RAID 0, what do you mean? Are you doing hardware raid?

For your two SSDs, are they part of a pool, or are they your L2ARC?

What is your boot device?

Please run "zpool status -v" and, post the output here in code tags (makes it easier for everyone to read).

elkadyeslam

Dabbler
Can you please elaborate on this? When you say RAID 0, what do you mean? Are you doing hardware raid?

Please run "zpool status -v" and, post the output here in code tags (makes it easier for everyone to read).
1.jpg

elkadyeslam

Dabbler

if it possible for u to use team viewer and see by your self i will be glad
or tell me what u want me to run
unfortunately my work count on this server i run 24 PC online games like crossfire and lol from it cfis share (first net cafe)
second one i run 32 pc)
i try to use iscsi but partition always crash with me i dont know what to do
buying all this stuff for 0 results make me disappointed
specifications
switch 48 port hp LP4M 10/100/1000
SERVER :dell t7500 ddr 3
Ram : ECC 16 GB (8X2)
SSD : use for cash only (l2cash) 3X120 HYPER FURY KING STON
HDD : 1TB X4 I USE RAID Z TO CREAT IT AT THE FIRST TIME
SAS card dell is used (i use freenas not sas card to make raid )
all pc use windows os
no windose server or domain controller is used
cifs share and iscsi
no support hear in egypt for freenas if u know any one tell me i will contact him
thx for your co-operate
tele :00201009872014
e-mail:elkadyeslam@yahoo.com

Nick2253

Wizard
I know there's something of a language barrier, but please try your best to use capitalization and punctuation. It's extremely difficult to parse your partial and run-on sentences.

It looks like your pool and all your drives are online, so that's good. However, you cut off at least part of the output. Can you make and post a debug (using System -> Advanced -> Save Debug)?

For starters, with only 16GB of memory, having one L2ARC drive is overkill at best, or actually hurts your performance at worst. Three is way beyond overkill, and most likely is hurting your performance.

I'm trying to understand this:

unfortunately my work count on this server i run 24 PC online games like crossfire and lol from it cfis share (first net cafe)
second one i run 32 pc)

Are both your net cafes using this one FreeNAS server? Or do you have one at each location? With 24 simultaneous clients, I'd personally recommend more memory. How's your memory use and ARC hit ratio?

So, there are two other things: (1) exactly where and how did you do a "on shell permeation R 777"? (2) what exactly are your error messages? Are you getting any errors on your FreeNAS console?

On the iSCSI issue: you can't simultaneously share an iSCSI mount with multiple machines (at least not without special software). Based on what you've said, I think that's what you're trying to do. If I understand you correctly, you are sharing game files for multiple PCs from one central server. If that's correct, I'd say a CIFS share is your best bet.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
HDD : 1TB X4 I USE RAID Z TO CREAT IT AT THE FIRST TIME
Based on the screenshot you posted, it looks like you actually striped all four disks together. If so, you have no protection against corruption or disk failure, and should seriously consider destroying the pool and starting over.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
1. Backup your data because you need to rebuild your pool most likely.
2. Get a new hdd controller, the one you have I don't think supports IT mode and can't act as a HBA.
Integrated LSI 1068e SAS/SATA 3.0GB/s controller supports host-based RAID 0 or 1. Optional PERC 6/i PCIe SAS/SATA/SSD hardware RAID card supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 10
3. Rebuild pool with raidz2 and no cache drives.
4. Configure a single dataset with windows permissions and cifs share with guest access only configured.
5. Make sure owner for dataset is 'nobody' and group is 'nogroup'.
6. Put all your data back into your system.

Optional: add more RAM if you have performance problems. Don't add l2arc(cache) devices until you have 64GB+ of RAM.
This should get your into a good state that allows you to have read/write permissions as well as stable system.

elkadyeslam

Dabbler
I know there's something of a language barrier, but please try your best to use capitalization and punctuation. It's extremely difficult to parse your partial and run-on sentences.
yes
sorry for bad English , i will try my best

elkadyeslam

Dabbler
It looks like your pool and all your drives are online, so that's good. However, you cut off at least part of the output. Can you make and post a debug (using System -> Advanced -> Save Debug)?
Debug

Attachments

• debug-SubZeRo-20160713040627..tgz
    935.8 KB · Views: 199

elkadyeslam

Dabbler
For starters, with only 16GB of memory, having one L2ARC drive is overkill at best, or actually hurts your performance at worst. Three is way beyond overkill, and most likely is hurting your performance.
i don't understand is it a good thing or a bad thing and what should i do ?????
about performance i guess it work well , all net cafe work from server in the same time (24pc) for more than 18h a day at good performance

elkadyeslam

Dabbler
some games didn't support to excite on multi PC like crossfire arx privet server, so i use iscsi partition, but it always crash and i cant make it read only because most of online game need to read write
333.jpg
qq1.jpg

elkadyeslam

Dabbler
Optional: add more RAM if you have performance problems. Don't add l2arc(cache) devices until you have 64GB+ of RAM.
This should get your into a good state that allows you to have read/write permissions as well as stable system.
what ??????????????? 64GB of ram , net cafe work well with only 16 GB of ram for more than 18 h a day .
its all about read only permeation some online games cant update it self (program cant write ) and i don't know how to solve it .
i already have a backup from every thing 2TB HDD backup away from server , so if anything happens i can start it all over again .
i try to start over several time , the same result after a week or two this problem show up again
if it possible to team viewer support i will be glad . thx

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
what ??????????????? 64GB of ram , net cafe work well with only 16 GB of ram
Apparently not, or you wouldn't be here asking for help. I agree, you don't have enough RAM for what you're trying to do. With block storage such as iSCSI, you need a lot of RAM and a lot of spare storage capacity (50% unused is recommended). I also agree that using three SSDs for L2ARC with so little RAM is going to make things worse (managing L2ARC takes RAM away from ARC). See how your L2ARC hit ratio is less than 5%? If you want to make use of the SSDs, put them in their own pool.

Regarding permissions, if you're using CIFS sharing, chmod everything to 777 is not the correct approach. You should set the dataset to Windows Permissions, with suitable ownership at the top level, then do everything else via Windows security settings.
  • Your pool has no redundancy, therefore no protection against corruption or disk failure. You should rebuild it as striped mirrors if you plan to continue with iSCSI.
  • You don't appear to be running regular SMART short and extended tests, and you have SMART monitoring turned off, so you'll have no warning when a disk starts to fail. Fix these and make sure you have email alerts working.
  • da0 is a bit warm at 44C and has logged an error. ada2 looks a bit flaky. Keep a close eye on both of these.
mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem 0xdbdec000-0xdbdeffff,0xdbdf0000-0xdbdfffff irq 56 at device 0.0 on pci36
What disk controller are you using? If it's an LSI 1068E, you need to flash it to IT mode, and keep in mind that it can't address more than about 2.2TB of any individual hard drive.

What you really need to do is to take a big step back, spend time studying all the documentation and recommendations and sticky posts in these forums, and then design a system to match your planned workload. If you do your homework and come back to the forum with a description of your workload and a proposed build, you'll find members willing to offer advice.

elkadyeslam

Dabbler
so little RAM is going to make things worse (managing L2ARC takes RAM away from ARC)
how can i solve this problem, i mean what u advice me to do to make good use of my resources.
how to build freenas system step by step with this specification
( use for cifs share only )
3 HDD X 1TB 7200rpm
3SSD X 120Gib hyper
16 Gib of Ram ECC DDR3
DELL workstation t7500

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Robert has already provided you with a wealth of advice. Please take time to review and heed it.

What disk controller are you using? If it's an LSI 1068E, you need to flash it to IT mode, and keep in mind that it can't address more than about 2.2TB of any individual hard drive.

What you really need to do is to take a big step back, spend time studying all the documentation and recommendations and sticky posts in these forums, and then design a system to match your planned workload. If you do your homework and come back to the forum with a description of your workload and a proposed build, you'll find members willing to offer advice.
Some meaningful replies would go a long way to helping the situation...

elkadyeslam

Dabbler
Robert has already provided you with a wealth of advice. Please take time to review and heed it.
k thx for all of you , i will spend time studying all the documentation and recommendations
or i can change to another system like ccboot

Status
Not open for further replies.