Not open for further replies.

lhriscopez

Dabbler
I just purchased a new build.
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O
Intel Core i3-4170
16 gb ECC
6 x 2tb hgst drives
Currently im using my main pc as a plex server and and have 2 x 2tb hgst drives and 1 x 1tb WD which are all pretty much full. I also have two ssd one being a 128gb that my os is installed on.

With all that being said here is what i need help with. I want to add those 2x 2tb drives from my pc to the disk array but obviously cant do that until the system is built. I also want to add the 128 ssd to the build to improve performance (if its even necessary)
And want to do all this in the most efficient way. I also dont want to pull that 128 ssd until all my data is safely off the main pc onto the nas.

Im sure this is all pretty straight forward and can probably be found somewhere on the forum but figured this would be the fastest way to find the material i need to read.

Thanks!

sesipod

Contributor
What I did was buy a external hard drive to move all of my 7tb of Plex data to and then re-do my array. Then secure wipe it and say I got a drive that was too small or you could just I keep it. You need somewhere to offload the data to build the array or add a new disk to an existing raidz.

I would leave out the SSD as you would probably be okay with just the ram and drives. I currently run 8x 3TB wd reds for SMB Data / Plex / Emby / and a handful of other things with just 8gb ram and the server only ever uses about 5gb. You can always add the SSD for cache later.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sesipod

Contributor
What I did was buy a external hard drive to move all of my 7tb of Plex data to and then re-do my array. Then secure wipe it and say I got a drive that was too small or you could just I keep it. You need somewhere to offload the data to build the array or add a new disk to an existing raidz.

I would leave out the SSD as you would probably be okay with just the ram and drives. I currently run 8x 3TB wd reds for SMB Data / Plex / Emby / and a handful of other things with just 8gb ram and the server only ever uses about 5gb. You can always add the SSD for cache later.

That is assuming that you want to include the 2x 2tb drives from your desktop in the 6x 2tb array.

lhriscopez

Dabbler

Thanks for the good info! Im most likely going to go the external hdd route as it seems to be the easiest way to get the other 2tb drives into the nas.

sesipod

Contributor
Let me know if you need any help or anything along the way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.