New NAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasraka

Cadet
Hi All,

i've just built my nas last night, and currently having a dilemma of the transfer speed via network and also what would be the best hdd configuration.

current hardware
Freenas Server

AMD A4 x2 @ 2.7ghz
8gb DDR3
1GB Eth
GB Switch (HP Procurve)
2 x 2tb wd (sata 2)
2 x 2tb wd (sata 3)
1 x 1.5tb wd (sata 2)
1 x 3tb wd (sata 3)

currently i have 3 of the 2tb hdd free ( 1 x sata 2 and 2 x sata 3) while the rest are occupied. what would be the best recommendation to use with these 3 hdds, and once i clear up the other remaining hdds, how can i add them into the current pool. For testing, i've used the 3 free hard disk and created 3 individual zfs drives and added them into a single vdev therefore having a pool of 5.++ tb, but this would have any redundant spares incase of drive failure. i was thinking of creating a raidz1 with the 3 hdds, but the space created would be enough for me to transfer the data from the remaining drives to be allocated later on. what would be the best approach to this?

and also, i noticed that transfer speed between my server and pc to the nas is roughly about 40mb peak.

Server specs:
Intel Pentium D 3.2ghz
4 GB DDR2 Ram
1GB Eth
GB Switch (HP Procurve)
Windows 2008
1 x 160GB sata 1 hdd
2 x 500GB sata 2 hdd

PC Specs:
AMD Phenom2 X6
8 GB DDR3
1GB Eth
GB Switch (Cisco)
Windows 7 Ultimate
1 x 2tb sata 1 hdd

i've tested with iperf from all machines and results are as follow.

NAS - PC \ Server = 900+MB
PC - NAS = 400+MB
Server - NAS = 400MB
Server - NAS = 600MB (after disabling interrupt moderation and enabling Large Send Offload)

But actual transfer from the NAS to the Server peaks at 40mb.
all devices are connected via cat 6 cables, and the server and the nas are sitting on the same switch in the same room, only the PC is outside connected to a different switch(cisco), which that switch is then connected to the procurve.

all your expert input is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.