New NAS for geeky family

Status
Not open for further replies.

l377r1ch

Cadet
Dear Forum,

I am new to FreeNAS, but not new to UNIX like systems.
My first project was to build an all in one system using XEN and later KVM to provide
-basic network services like DHCP, DNS, Certificates
-authentication and autorization with SSO for users
-NAS with NFS, AFP, SMB and WebDAV
-Backup
- some basic web services like BitTorrent, iTunes Server ect...
-Asterisk IP telephony

After some years of getting to know all protocols, config files and linux as a server OS, it is time for an elegant solution that works well, is easy to maintain and cheap to run. I want to provide the infrastructure for
-4 active users,
-3 Win 7/8 pcs,
-2 Macs,
-3 smartphones
-2 tablets
- smart TV and a RaspBMC system,
-3 IP phones.

The infrastructure is quite good with gigabit LAN throughout all rooms of the house, HP ProCurve Switches where needed and WiFi ac.

I have calculated our storage needs at around 4 TB of which less then 500GB have to be protected by backups.
My plan is to build two boxes:
Box 1: small XenServer box (small Haswell CPU, 8GB ram, two SSDs in RAID 1, Intel NIC) Windows 2012 Server to provide AD, NTP, DHCP and DNS and enough power to provide one or two vms as a small playground for projects.

After studying the FreeNAS forums, I've come up with
Box 2: FreeNAS box for
NFS, AFP, SMB, owncloud, Bacula, TransmissonBT and iTunes server.
-2x4TB 3,5" Hitachi NAS HDD (SATA 6/GB/s) in RAID 1 (will store personal data, media, as well as backups of VMs and client PCs)
-1TB 2,5" Hitachi HDD for backups of personal data
-Intel Haswell Celeron G1820 (2,7GHz)
-8GB RAM
-Intel NIC

What do you think of my plan and how do you judge the hardware I have chosen for the task? See any bottlenecks on the hardware side?

Status
Not open for further replies.