Multiple NAS, Multiple Location Architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Harlan

Cadet
Couldn't find any similar threads and didn't know where to place this (plus I'm a Noob!).

What I'm looking to do:
  • Build 4 NAS home use systems, located at 4 different houses (mine and my siblings)
  • Use for local PC & device backups as well as for remote backups of the nieces' and nephews' laptops & devices that are at various colleges around the country
  • Provide disaster recovery by scheduled backups between the systems in a round robin approach (A backups to B, B to C, C to D, D to A)
  • Primary use is data storage for about 4 users/system
    • Media streaming or other use I would expect to cause performance issues
Some goals:
  • Cost effective, initial and power consumption
  • Remote admin (I'm going to have to admin all of these)
  • Automated alerts (space, performance, security...)
  • Encrypted transfer, no known need for disk encryption
  • Individual user accounts on local/family NAS so each user has their own access & share
  • 6TB useable storage per system
    • planning on 12TB systems, allocating 6TB for local, 6TB for remote backup
  • Provide for following clients; Windows PCs, Apple PCs, Android devices, iOS devices,
Known Questions:
  • Since I will be doing the backups/images on each system to a remote system, is sizing for RAID within each box important enough to justify the extra cost?
  • Within FreeNAS, what tools/strategy should I use for the remote backups?
  • How best to setup the clients to perform their backups? esp the remote laptops that I want to connect and transfer their data encrypted. Will it require I purchase SSL certificates?
  • Security
    • Guides or suggestions on how best to setup each network? Each network is a cable modem with a wireless router on the inside. Note, I do not wish to use standard port numbers and would like to customize these for each system.
    • Does a NAS need Antivirus? Suggestion on application and methods?
  • Given these are home systems, the modems will have dynamic DNSs so I will need to setup a DDNS service, any suggestions on the various services such as no-ip, etc?
  • Finally, I know there must be something I'm forgetting. Anyone care to enlighten me :)
Thanks,
~Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.