Backup, Plex, ransomware strategy

Blaq

Cadet
After my old D-Link NAS died, I decided to move to FreeNAS and seriously improve my backup game. As a noob, I would love some guidance. I have several questions, but you know there are so many facets to a NAS/backup strategy.

Goals
  • Copy data from my existing NAS drive to the new NAS
  • Set up image & file backups of my PC to the new NAS
  • Replicate the NAS to Backblaze B2 for full disaster recovery
    • Irreplaceable files only; most media files I can re-download if needed
  • Be protected against PC ransomware encrypting my backups

Hardware/Cloud
  • I'm buying a 4-bay FreeNAS Mini-E.
  • I'm buying 1 or 2 additional 3TB drives for parity. The four drives, in a ZRAID-2 configuration, will give me ~6TB total storage.
  • I'm subscribing to Backblaze B2.
  • I have one Windows 10 PC:
    • Boot drive: 210GB SSD with various partitions like C: and a Macrium Reflect rescue partition. This drive sees few, small changes.
    • D: Data drive: 2TB HDD; about 1.2TB used.
    • I currently run Macrium Reflect on my PC for image (boot drive) and file (D: ) backups.
  • My dead NAS (D-Link DNS-325) has 2× 3TB WD Red drives in a RAID-1 mirror, containing:
    • Backups from various PCs over the years.
    • A Plex media library not found on any PC. My best guess is that it's about 1 TB.
  • The NAS drives are pretty much full. On the backup side, I aimed for 2-month retention of monthly full and daily incremental backups.
Backup migration from dead NAS
  • The dead NAS is Linux-based.
    • I have a Linux laptop and a USB-SATA adapter allowing me to mount one of the dead NAS's drives onto the laptop and copy files to the new NAS.
    • Or can I stick the drive into my Mini-E and copy files to the newly-ZFS formatted drive?
  • Because the Mini-E only has 4× 3.5"drive bays and I won't have any spare drives, can I, say, use one old-NAS drive + 2 new drives in a ZRAID-1 configuration, copy the data from the remaining old-NAS drive, then change my vdev from a 3-disk ZRAID-1 to 4-disk ZRAID-2 without data loss?

Possible FreeNAS configuration
  • One area for the Plex library, split between:
    • Replaceable files
    • Irreplaceable files
  • One area for archived backups from old PCs (can be read-only from PC)
  • One area for backups of my current PC
    • C: image backups
    • D: file backups
  • Replication to cloud: not all files, to save $
    • Plex > Irreplaceable files
    • C: image backups
    • D: file backups
Ransomware protection

The big challenge is ransomware protection. How do I protect the NAS files from encryption launched from my PC?
  • Scenario 1: run backups on the NAS, not the PC (a "NAS pull" model) so the NAS is read-only — but:
    • That would only do file backups, not boot-drive image backups… correct? Or is there a way for FreeNAS to do a (VSS-aware) image backup on a remote PC?
    • What about the Plex library? I need write access from my PC.
  • Scenario 2: image backup run on PC, saved to PC; file backup run on NAS, pulled from PC
    • Reflect has a MIG (Macrium Image Guardian) feature that only grants write access for backup files to Macrium Reflect and Macrium image tools. All other processes (e.g. ransomware) will be denied write access.
      • This only works on local and USB drives attached to my PC
      • So one possibility is to:
        • Run the image backup on my PC and store the result on D:. Because it's a local drive, MIG will protect it.
        • File backup runs on FreeNAS, pulling files off my D: drive (including the .mrimg image file)
    • How do you feel about this idea?
    • The Plex question still applies here.
  • Scenario 3: something else?
  • Snapshot size and retention: it seems the consensus here is "the answer to ransomware is snapshots, since snapshots are read-only". But if ransomware encrypts 1TB of files, will the new snapshots be about 1TB? Should I plan to have total NAS storage space 2× of my current and planned needs? The last thing I need is for the "clean" snapshots taken before a ransomware attack to be auto-deleted due to insufficient storage space.
  • If the consensus is that people don't care if files backed up on the NAS are encrypted "because… snapshots", then I wouldn't have to do anything special to datasets like my NAS Plex library — leave it read/write from the PC because if it gets encrypted, snapshots will save me. Correct?

There's a lot to plan and I'm grateful for your guidance.

Dice

Wizard
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Kudos to the effort of formatting and thinking through your request.

I cannot offer you a detailed solution to all steps, but a shoot a few pointers in your direction:

One area for the Plex library, split between:
Areas in this FreeNAS terminology would be dataset. For all sort of "different treatment" of files, add another dataset. Backups of computers, irreplacable files that will be replicated elsewhere etc. It will simplify administration a lot in FreeNAS.

Ransomware protection
The built in solution is called "snapshots".
Search the manual for snapshots and have a look around. The neat thing is that snapshots can be replicated to another site, or be used as a "previous state of files" locally.

Cheers.

StoreMore

Dabbler
Make sure you create an account to access the shares on the nas that is NOT the root user used to setup the nas. Enabled the snapshots on the NAS, they can even be exposed to the guest OS (Windows) via read-only. So, even though you can view them from your Windows PC client they actually can't be deleted or disabled like normal shadow copies that you hear about from most Windows Ransomeware. Additionally, as you mentioned BackBlaze B2 get that setup as an extra precaution. You'll do that through the Cloud Sync Tasks menu in FreeNAS.

Matt Rupert

Dabbler
Hello Blaq,

I really liked your well though out post. I am in a similar situation you posted about. What I am most interested in is learning how your experience has gone and what you ended up doing and how it all went, as Im starting down a very similar path. What issues did you run into what can you discuss about what you did and how you would do it differently if to do it again?

Thank you
Matt

ChrisRJ

Wizard
You cannot change a VDEV, once it is created, without loosing all data. Basically you do a delete and re-create.