New system, some question

Status
Not open for further replies.

moltiluca

Cadet
Hi,
I'm new in FreeNas and I'm going to build my new system, I already read cyberjock slideshow and some post in this forum, but I want to ask directly some thing.

This is my HW configuration:
2HDD Seagate NAS 3TB (raid1-mirror)
8gb RAM 1600 cl9 Non-ecc
i5-4570s 2,9ghz
LAN Realtek 8111E (future upgrade to Intel LAN NIC)

I'm going to use this system for a local storage and backups of my windows system
and for remote access to data.
Much of my data are photos.

For the remote access I have to configure iSCSI, correct?
And for this system and for the best recovery data loss, is best to use UFS or ZFS? In the slideshow I read is best UFS for use iSCSI, correct?

Thank you, bye:)

Dennis K.

Explorer
As you've read cyberjocks guide I assume you're choosing Non-ECC RAM on purpose? ZFS needs ECC RAM and UFS will be discontinued with the next major FreeNAS version. ZFS is also way more reliable than UFS. It is designed arround the goal of data safety.

You don't need iSCSI at all, just setup a windows share with samba.

moltiluca

Cadet
Yes, is my choose because I had already this HW at home for a windows desktop and I spent my budget only in new HDDs.
Yes I read is really better ECC ram with ZFS file system, but I understand it isn't mandatory, correct?
Is better UFS with non-ECC RAM?
Are there Advantages for data safety with UFS and NON-ECC RAM more than ZFS and NON-ECC RAM?

Dennis K.

Explorer
Yes, is my choose because I had already this HW at home for a windows desktop and I spent my budget only in new HDDs.
Yes I read is really better ECC ram with ZFS file system, but I understand it isn't mandatory, correct?

It is not mandatory. More on that topic here: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/

Is better UFS with non-ECC RAM?
I don't know.
Are there Advantages for data safety with UFS and NON-ECC RAM more than ZFS and NON-ECC RAM?
I don't know either.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
UFS is dead. So if you are going to consider going to UFS you should just give up on FreeNAS and go with some other OS.

ECC isn't mandatory, but if your RAM fails your pool is done for. Single point of failure despite having redundancy in your pool. Ain't life grand?

moltiluca

Cadet
Thanks for the answers

I am stubborn and I know, but with NON-ECC RAM is more safe to use UFS?
I know it's no more supported

but if your RAM fails your pool is done for. Single point of failure despite having redundancy in your pool.
What does it mean? If my RAM fails I won't able to restore anymore all my data?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not really. Bad RAM is just bad for file servers. Even on desktops if your RAM goes bad you generally end up with a trashed file system as a result.

What does it mean? If my RAM fails I won't able to restore anymore all my data?

Exactly. If you have bad RAM it kills the pool and you lose ALL of your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.