Add Time Machine Backup Dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi;

I have a basic FreeNAS setup up and running which I use for general data storage.
With the following parameters:
1 x Group
1 x User (Same name as group)
3 x 1TB HDDs in a ZFS Pool
1 x Volume /mnt/FreeNAS
With a sub volume /mnt/FreeNAS/NAS_Storage
1 x CIFS Share

I would now like to expand my NAS setup further, first as a Time Machine Drive but later as an iTunes Server and for Transmission Storage.

I have done a couple of searches but have not been successful, can anyone help me amend my setup to enable it to be used as a Time Machine Disc?

Do I need an AFP Share or can I use my existing CIFS share?

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Sorry Guys;

I re read the 8.3.0 user guide section 7.1.3 and my Time Machine is now backing up my Macbook Pro as I am typing. My settings may not be completely correct as I had to enter a user name and password to get Time Machine to access the NAS and it may not do it again automatically.

I created a Dataset called "Time_Machine_Mackbook" with a 400g limit, all other options in dataset options were left default. I created a user "TM_Backup1" with the Home Directory set to the Time_Machine_Mackbook dataset, full name TM_Backup1, all 9 boxes checked (Read / Write etc). I then created an AFP share called "TM_Backup_Macbook", set the path to the Time Machine Mackbook dataset, put the user name TM_Backup1 in the Allow List and the Read-write Access field. Checked "Disk Discovery" and set Disk discovery mode to Time Machine and left everything else as default.

I then set the AFP service as Server Name FreeNAS_AFP and set Guest Account as TM_Backup1 (not sure if I needed to do this.

When I created the user I must have been asked to set a password but I cannot see where it is listed now??

Anyway when I went into System Preferences Time Machine it recognised the FreeNAS_AFP share but to access it I had to enter the user name TM_Backup1 and password and hey presto it worked.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you're the only user, you don't need a user account tied to it at all.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
If you're the only user, you don't need a user account tied to it at all.

There are 2 x users myself and my partner, my partner will not be using the FreeNAS but I would like to back up their iMac to the NAS as well as my Macbook.

For security I don't want them accessing the NAS so if I stick to a Time Machine User with only access to the 400GB dataset this will prevent them accessing any other dataset. At the minute though they can freely see the entire NAS as the main storage dataset which is shared via Windows CIFS so i'll need to restrict access to that somehow.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.