SOLVED Cannot get Time Machine to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limitedheadroom

Dabbler
I've done this before and it worked straight off, following this guide: http://www.notquitemainstream.com/b...-machine-for-multiple-macs-on-freenas-9-2-1-3

I'm only trying to get one computer to access the Time Machine share.

This is the process I followed
I created a group - time-machine
Created a dataset - Time-Machine, inside my dataset called Backups
Changed permissions of dataset so time-machine group is owner and group is checked for read, write & execute
created a user for the computer - danmacpro with primary group as time-machine
created an AFP share pointing at the Time-Machine dataset, with @time-machine in the allow & read&write lists, time machine box is checked.

When I try to connect to the share from my Mac I put in username and password but get a message saying:
Time Machine can't access the backup disk "Time Machine". The operation couldn't be completed (OSStatus error 2.)

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Like I said, I did it before as per the guide and it worked straight away.

adrianwi

Guru
He's an idea of how mine is set-up, which works perfectly for 3 Macs backing up using Time Machine to my FreeNAS box

I have a dataset for each mac directly off my main pool (e.g. /tank/tm_mac1)
Each one has it's own AFP share which an existing user is allowed to access and read-write to, and it's checked as a Time Machine share
Nothing else special about the user accounts, but the dataset permissions have that user as the owner and group and permission type set to Mac

That's pretty much it. I connect to the share, open Time Machine, select the share as the destination, enter the username and password I've set in FreeNAS and off it goes for several hours. After that, it should backup ever hour or so without any further intervention :)

Limitedheadroom

Dabbler
Well that did it. There must have been some permissions thing I couldn't see. But it is now all set to an existing user, rather than trying to make one specifically for Time Machine.

Thank you

evanb

Cadet
I created a dataset on a volume permissions are set to group wheel and my ldap account. I fail auth to mount the volume. any suggestions?

cygnus

Explorer
With this detail worked a treat thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.