Need a sanity check please/Couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

toy4x4

Cadet
Here is what I have server wise:

SuperMicro X10SL7 Flashed to v20 firmware and IT Mode on storage card
32Gb Corsair ECC Ram (same as listed as compatible on this site)
1x 200Gb Intel S3710 for ZIL/SLOG
1x 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro for L2Arc
1x 120gb Samsung 850 EVO for boot (Had laying around)
4x 1TB WD Red
4x 2TB WD Red
A good Seasonic power supply

Currently, I have the latest stable build of Freenas installed on the above with the exception of the 4x1TB drives as they are still in my current server still. I have my current volume setup as shown below. I currently have 5 CIFS shares that I use and will end up transferring my data from my old existing server.

Does the disk layout seem like the right layout for something as simple as what I am doing?
Can I add my 1Tb later to the volume? ( have a assumption based on all my reading)

upload_2015-10-9_14-52-6.png

All I have really is 5 CIFS shares for Documents, Music, Movies, Pictures and Misc. I was running Windows as a server with Stablebit Drivepool with all drives in a single pool. My two main large shares are Movies and Misc.

(I am aware I most likely have overkill for my house, but I am bored).

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
RAID Z1 seems reasonable for the disk size. It doesn't give you much protection though, so have backups or another disk on standby.

You can add the 4x1TB as another vdevin the same pool (DATA isn't a good name btw), but not 1 drive by itself.

danb35

Hall of Famer
  • You say you have 4 x 2 TB disks, but your pool layout only shows three. Where's the other one?
  • The pool name of "Data" is not recommended due to possible confusion when looking at your logs, and unspecified other potential issues.
  • You don't have enough RAM to make the use of an L2ARC device sensible. It will probably not benefit you, and may harm performance.
  • It's highly unlikely that your workload (CIFS file sharing) calls for the use of an SLOG device, and that may also harm performance.

toy4x4

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will change the volume name before I get really started. I am still working on getting data off the 4th 2Tb drive. Sorry for that confusion.

I backup to another local server and then offsite from there.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
  • You don't have enough RAM to make the use of an L2ARC device sensible. It will probably not benefit you, and may harm performance.
  • It's highly unlikely that your workload (CIFS file sharing) calls for the use of an SLOG device, and that may also harm performance.
This is precisely what stuck out to me. Your use of L2ARC and SLOG with this configuration is actually a very bad idea. I would expect this decision to increase your risk, and actually lower your performance. I would remove both of those devices immediately.

rogerh

Guru
Presumably you're going to destroy the RAIDZ1 pool (and all the data on it) and remake it using all four 2TB disks, because there is no other satisfactory way to add the fourth 2TB disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.