Need advice on setting up my drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beng

Cadet
My build has:

Boot: Fast 32 GB USB 3.0 Stick (Transcend)

Disk (Internal PCIe MVMe controller): 1X Intel P600 M2 PCIe 128 G

Disks (Internal SATA Controller which has 6 ports):
3X WD RED 4TB
1X Samsung Spintpoint 1B
1X SSD (120 GB)
1x SSD (32 GB)

Disk (Additional SATA controller):
4X Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ

Unused (on the shelve): 2X Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ

I have a couple of categories of data to store: (all data will have SMB shares)
- 6 to 8 TB of (Expendable) Media Files (Can be lost, no fun but I will survive)
- 2 TB of Precious Data (May not be lost)

I will be running SABnzbd, Sonarr and Plex Media Server. Plex does not need to transcode (I am using plexConnect on RPI/Kodi).

So I figured i put the 3 WD Red disks in a ZFS-Z1 Volume and add the Intel P600 SSD as Cache to store the Media Files.
SABnzbd will be unzippen, merging, repairing etc .. so i was thinking to assign one Samsung Spinpoint as a scratch drive for this or maybe the 120 Gb SSD?
The precious data i want to store on ZFS-Z2 Volume using the additional sata controller.

So that is the rough idea, suggestion and or advice are welcome.

diedrichg

Wizard

Beng

Cadet
Thank you for pointing that out, i will study the information. In the mean while I will appreciate advice on how to configure my setup.

Beng

Cadet
Ok after reading up some I understand that I don't need L2ARC or ZIL. So I won't be using the SSD as "Cache" since that turns out to be L2ARC.
For now i am thinking about:

3x WD RED 4TB in a VDEV RAID-Z1, this will be the zpool for Media Files.
4x Samsung Spinpoint in a VDEV RAID-Z2, this will be the pool for the "precious" Data Files.

Then put the M2 PCIe SSD in a separate VDEV, this will be the Temp pool.

So i have some left over drive(s), 1 Spinpoint and 2 SSDs.

Beng

Cadet
So I have read RAID-Z1 has been declared dead since 2009.

Ok .. There seems to be no point in trying to have Z1 redundancy with my 3 WD RED drives so I should just use them without redundancy and get the best storage space out of it?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
So I have read RAID-Z1 has been declared dead since 2009.

Ok .. There seems to be no point in trying to have Z1 redundancy with my 3 WD RED drives so I should just use them without redundancy and get the best storage space out of it?
I wouldn't do that!
The RAID-5/RAID-Z1 problem boils down to one thing: your tolerance of risk. And the risk only comes into play when a drive fails. Far better to have a three-drive RAID-Z1 array than no redundancy at all!

Mr_N

Patron
And regardless of your setup make sure you have 3 copies of the 2TB of precious files, if you really don't want to lose them...

A 3-2-1 strategy means having at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different devices, and at least 1 copy offsite.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you don't want to lose something you need a backup not redundcy. Usually with random drives like you have using mirrors is best.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.