NAS only. On the cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGibbage

Cadet
First post here...

I need a NAS solution. My desktop computer with four HDs (three spinners + 1 SSD) failed (motherboard took a power hit). I've been thinking about getting a laptop for quite a while, so I ordered one. But now, what to do with the data on my hard drives? I was thinking NAS. Checked Amazon and they are like $1000+ at a minimum! So I immediately start thinking, I can build one cheaper than that! So, I need some ideas.
Design requirements:
NAS only. I have a separate Plex server for media.
Really only one user (me), but I may convince my wife and daughter to use it too
I can probably use any size case because it will go in my home automation closet (not worried about noise either)
I want it CHEAP, but I would hope it can last for at least two or three years??
Something for data integrity (RAIDXX?)

Questions: can I use my existing HDs and SSD? I am at work, so I don't know what brands/capacities/models they are, so this is a general question. Right now they are formatted NTFS, so I am assuming I will have to do some type of migration?

Dice

Wizard

iammykyl

Explorer
Last edited:

CraigD

Patron
Might be a bit late with this, cheap, but very up-gradable.
MB, supports 10 drives, upgrade, Xeon, EEC. > http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C226 WS#Specifications
Core i3-4170https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813183013
RAM 16GB standard.
PSU 450 Gold.
Case, supports 10 drives, 3 fans pre installed,+ controller. > https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146216
Total: $588.90 > https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ncxgm8

Why would you recommend this build for FreeNAS?

I must admit the case is nice

The OP states NAS only. The Pentium build below is cheaper and good enough to serve files, and it will support 8 SATA drives

$210 SUPERMICRO X11SSM-F
$60 Pentium G4400
$149 Crucial 16GB Single 2133MT/s DDR4 PC4-17000 Dual Ranked x8 ECC
$110 H440 STEEL Mid Tower Case
$50 PSU SeaSonic S12II Series S12II 620 Bronze

The drives will work, but may or may not be recommended. I've lost 3 desktop drives in a year (NO DATA LOST) and are converting to WD Red drives

Have Fun

Last edited by a moderator:

snaptec

Guru
Hp micro server gen8, 4 bays. 200$
Add some ram and you are ready to go.
The CPU isn't fast. For just data it is enough.
May others can talk about play performance.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

iammykyl

Explorer
Mostly to do with my RAM preferences.
I prefer 2 sticks of certified memory and there was no EEC at a reasonable price.
the i3 performs slightly better than the Pentium, (Haswell)
PSU, Modular, Gold , Haswell Certified.

The X11SSM-F is a good board, especially the Integrated IPMI 2.0 and KVM with Dedicated LAN.

Now the OP is getting some options, if he is still looking.

Dice

Wizard
Options including hardware without ECC support should not be promoted nor considered advice on the forums.

snaptec

Guru
Do you mean my advice?
The micro server gen 8 takes ecc!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

CraigD

Patron
For $5 more you can get the G4560 that is 200Mhz faster and has hyperthreading. That's the perfect budget solution CPU in my opinion.

Twice the power nice

Updating the BIOS looks to be a nightmare if you need to do it

I know I'm a bit late to this but I've had some experience with a bad flash on this board there are a few options outside of the OOB license to fix the bios. I'm not sure this method would have worked with an not-yet supported CPU. However maybe this will help someone else.

This from the readme file included with supermicro firmware packages.

================================================
Super.ROM (see user's manual for details)
================================================
Recovery Bios from a USB Device/Drive

If the BIOS file is corrupted and the system is not able to boot up, this feature will
allow you to recover the BIOS image using a USB-attached device. A USB Flash
Drive or a USB CD/DVD ROM/RW drive may be used for this purpose. Please note
that a USB Hard Disk drive is NOT supported at this time. Follow the procedures
below recover the BIOS.

1. Using a different system, copy the standard BIOS binary image file

into a bootable USB flash device or a writable CD/DVD disc's Root "\" Directory, Rename the BIOS binary file as "Super.ROM"

2. While the system is turned off, Insert the USB device that contains the new BIOS binary image (°ßsuper.rom°®).

3. Right after the system is turned on, press and hold <Ctrl> and <Home> keys together until the System Enter Recovery Mode which is showing on the button of the screen

This will take a few seconds or up to one minute.

4. The system will enter the BIOS Recovery menu. Select "Proceed with flash update" to start the BIOS recovery process. DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS UNTIL IT IS FINISHED!

5. After the Boot Sector Recovery Process is complete, press any key to reboot the system.

6. Boot into USB drive again. When the DOS prompt appears, please type FLASH.BAT BIOSname#.### to start BIOS update, just like in standard BIOS update procedure.

7. Do not interrupt the process until the flashing is complete.

8. After you see the message of BIOS has completed the update, do the A/C power cycle & restore the BIOS setting.

NOtes:

* Restore the BIOS setting: press Delete to go to the BIOS setup screen, press F3 to load the default and press F4 to save and exit.

* If the system can not boot up due to the BIOS file is corrupted, please change JBR1 jumper setting to pin 2-3 for BIOS recovery.
This is the last step you should do before contact RMA.

* If the BIOS flash failed, you can contact our RMA dept. to have the bios chip reprogrammed. This will require shipping the board to our RMA dept.
The RMA dept's email address is rma@supermicro.com

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

iammykyl

Explorer
Code:
Jailer said
Do you care about your data?

answering a question with a question, is not very helpful

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Code:
Jailer said
Do you care about your data?

answering a question with a question, is not very helpful
If you care about your data then yes you absolutely need ECC memory for data integrity. If you don't then don't sweat it. A test system would be a good example of where you would not need ECC memory.

So yes, I answered a question with a question but as you can see it was a valid question that required more input from the user to provide and accurate answer.

Does that answer suit your needs better?

iammykyl

Explorer
If you care about your data then yes you absolutely need ECC memory for data integrity. If you don't then don't sweat it. A test system would be a good example of where you would not need ECC memory.

So yes, I answered a question with a question but as you can see it was a valid question that required more input from the user to provide and accurate answer.

Does that answer suit your needs better?

The question was specific, "would non ECC not be OK for Home Storage NAS?"
So if you had replied with "If you care about your data then yes you absolutely need ECC memory for data integrity. If you don't then don't sweat it. A test system would be a good example of where you would not need ECC memory."

That would have given me the exact advice I needed.

Thank you.

norbs

Explorer
Twice the power nice

Updating the BIOS looks to be a nightmare if you need to do it

That was more of a method of recovery from a bad flash than the actual upgrade process. The normal (and free) upgrade method does require a DOS boot disk so it is a pain but not as bad as the portion of the readme file I posted.

Last edited:

CraigD

Patron
If you have a compatible CPU yes

Upgrading from Skylake to Kaby Lake without a supported CPU is a whole other matter, pay for a license, or upgrade the BIOS another way

Some people had the same problem with the very motherboard I use, the recently manufactured boards shipped with an updated BIOS with Pentium support, the earlier boards did not

Either way sadly we have scared the OP away, however the thread has some great information on hardware that applies to all OS's

Have Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.