Cheap low energy usage build - Newb alert!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frits25

Cadet
Hi,

Yes, I am new, and yes, this is going to be 'one of those posts'.
The reason I post is because I seem to be confused about a couple of things, and I would like some help - any help is appreciated.

What I have:
Qnap TS-410, this is a very old NAS that does not meet my requirements anymore, so I am looking to upgrade. I was looking at Synology, Qnap, etc. but FreeNAS looks very interesting too.

What I like about the Qnap:
Low energy consumption
Size (although it is the lowest factor on my priority list)

What I need:
  1. A home storage system (daily backup of my PC, holding movie collection, store security camera footage when the cameras trigger a recording).
  2. Run media server (push media content to my smart TV's at home - some 4K content, some downscaling of movie content - maybe Plex or equivalent app)
  3. Run SickRage and do what Sickrage does
  4. Run NZBGet to download content from Usenet (repairing and extracting)
The problem with my current NAS:
The Qnap has trouble running Sickrage, the download speeds are low (about 50% of what my PC pulls in) and extracting/repairing takes ages, Plex cannot run on it. So I need an upgrade and honestly, this NAS is almost antique. People born after my NAS was manufactured can vote and drive a car.

The sollution:
What I did was read the FreeNAS hardware requirements list and realised I do have an old Dell Poweredge SC1430 (2x XEON quad core CPU, 8GB ECC RAM) laying around, and that might be a good candidate for turning into a NAS using FreeNAS.
I would buy a small SSD (32GB for ~€30) and 2x WD Red WD40EFRX, 4TB hard disks (5400 RPM) at €250 for the pair to put in RAID1 and have a solid FreeNAS with 4TB redundant capacity for ~€280,- (about $300).

The issues with my plan:
Even if the mentioned SC1430 is compatible with FreeNAS (I did not find any posts on this hardware), it would probably not by energy efficient by any means. And the issue is that with 21 cents/kWh locally, power consumption is a big price issue.
I read on this forum several times that older hardware can be 5+ times less efficient with energy, therefore it could well be cheaper in the long run to get new hardware than use old hardware.

The questions:
Diving into the new hardware-quest I found this helpful FreeNAS Quick Hardware Guide, but I have some questions about this. Here they are:
Chassis: I would opt for a chassis for 2-6 disks, but both recommended options are no longer for sale (Fractal design 304 and 804). I like the small form factor/box but if they are not sold anymore... What is a good cheap alternative?
Boot device: I would get a small SSD, but the first one on the list there is a 240GB SSD, why? Why not a 32GB one for 1/3 of the price, like the Transcend-ssd370-(premium)-32gb? I read here on the forums that any capacity left over after installing the OS cannot be used, so why list a 240GB model? Some other suggestions are even 500GB and above. Am I missing something?
Price: When you add up the prices of chassis, boot device, PSU, CPU, motherboard and fan(s) you are well on your way to the price of a pre-built NAS by Qnap or any other manufacturer. Would it, for my use of the NAS, be wise to actually build my own NAS or should I just fork over the money for a pre-build NAS from one of the brands?

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction and help me out with my overall question: can I have a cheap low energy usage build for my intended purposes?

Thanks for making it all the way here, I hope you can spare some words in advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I would get a small SSD, but the first one on the list there is a 240GB SSD, why?
Not sure what you are reading but this is what it says:

Boot Devices
Any SSD from a reputable brand will serve you well. 32GB or more recommended.

That old Dell is going to be a hot power hog. You'd be better served by a newer T30 or something similar if you want to build on the cheap.

Frits25

Cadet
Thanks.

To be clear: it says to use any SSD of 32gb or larger capacity. Yet more capacity than the OS requires, is useless as it cannot be used for anything. So putting in a (recommended) $75 SSD with 250GB capacity would be a waste of $40 if you can get a 32GB SSD for $30 (also reputable brand).

So my question is: why would you waste $40 if it serves no purpose whatsoever? Why not recommend a $30 costing 32GB SSD?
This lead me to believe I am missing some info on the disk that holds the OS.

danb35

Hall of Famer
it says to use any SSD of 32gb or larger capacity.
Correct. You wouldn't want to go smaller than that, and larger than 120 GB or so really is a waste. The links in the guide are just to reputable brands, and don't recommend any specific models or capacities (yes, the first one in the list when you click on the Sandisk link is 240 GB, but there are lots of others on that list).

wblock

Documentation Engineer
To be clear: it says to use any SSD of 32gb or larger capacity. Yet more capacity than the OS requires, is useless as it cannot be used for anything.
This is incorrect. Excess capacity on an SSD is used for wear leveling and increases reliability. A 32G SSD generally does not cost much less than a 120G SSD, and small SSDs tend to be meant for special use.

I see no reason for a 240G SSD as a FreeNAS boot drive, though. 120G is plenty. Beyond wear leveling, the additional capacity provides room for many boot environments.

Frits25

Cadet
Excellent, 120GB SSD it is then.
Now off to find a cheap, energy efficient build.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Excellent, 120GB SSD it is then.
Now off to find a cheap, energy efficient build.
If you want to post your part list, I am sure someone will offer suggestions on possible improvements.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
When you add up the prices of chassis, boot device, PSU, CPU, motherboard and fan(s) you are well on your way to the price of a pre-built NAS by Qnap or any other manufacturer. Would it, for my use of the NAS, be wise to actually build my own NAS or should I just fork over the money for a pre-build NAS from one of the brands?
If you are going to consider pre-built, you might want to give a look at the FreeNAS Mini. I understand they are pretty decent.
https://www.amazon.com/FreeNAS-Mini...0b0e1a7d8b1483f09ec99&camp=1789&creative=9325
Whether you can buy a system for less than you can build it for depends a lot on what you want to get from the system. There are corners than can be cut and ones that should not be cut.

Frits25

Cadet
I honestly appreciate all replies but suggesting a $1200 box (that comes without disks) for a cheap build is, well... a bit missing my point (the title of this thread also hints at me looking for a cheap build).

I will be looking at some refurbished hardware probably for a case, mobo, CPU and PSU and then throw new disks in. I need to be waiting for a good deal on some good hardware, and will report back when I have a parts list.

Thanks again for your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
IMHO, I would actually suggest holding off until we see what transpires with the whole Spectre and Meltdown Vulnerabilities. Not trying to scare you or anything, but if it were me; I would hold off spending the money if there was a possibility I would have to purchase a newer CPU very soon.

Alecmascot

Guru
I would hold off spending the money if there was a possibility I would have to purchase a newer CPU very soon.
Aren't Intel going to swap-out all the duff cpus for free then ?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
"Aren't Intel going to swap-out all the duff cpus for free then ?"

When pigs fly...

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
"Aren't Intel going to swap-out all the duff cpus for free then ?"
Class action suit then.....

Frits25

Cadet
IMHO, I would actually suggest holding off until we see what transpires with the whole Spectre and Meltdown Vulnerabilities. Not trying to scare you or anything, but if it were me; I would hold off spending the money if there was a possibility I would have to purchase a newer CPU very soon.
Oh dear...

And I thought I found what I needed: a refurbished workstation, which is:

Fujitsu-Siemens Celsius R570-2 Workstation
  • 1x Intel Xeon E5630 2.53-2.8 GHz
  • 16GB ECC RAM
  • 120 GB SSD (incl. bracket)
  • 2 TB Hdd
  • DVD player
  • Quadro 600 graphics card
(manufacturer specsheet (PDF) here)

I will add myself 3x 2TB WD Red drives (not sure what form of RAID I am going to choose, but will read up on that tomorrow).

The R570-2 would cost me €295 and the disks go for €80 a pop totalling my build at €535,- (or $643). My goal was €500,- so this comes pretty close.

If Spectre and Meltdown go play nicely, whould the above build be anything you would recommend? Am I missing something important?

I hope someone is willing to take a look for me and let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.