My new NAS components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgaWoW

Patron
So there was a bug report filed and it's of no help. My advice is to try and install FreeBSD 11 on your system. If it works then you can file a new bug report and state that FreeBSD 11 installs and runs fine and that the issue must be the FreeNAS bootloader. They will hopefully ask you to do some troubleshooting for them and provide some details.

In the BIOS is CSM enabled? Are you installing this as UEFI or BIOS or you tried both?

So once you do that, I'd try to install ESXi 6.5 and see if that works, and use the BIOS not UEFI. If you can get ESXi running, next setup a simple virtual machine with 8GB RAM, one 8GB hard drive and one 10GB hard drive. The 8GB hard drive will be your boot device for the VM. Point your virtual CD-ROM drive to the FreeNAS ISO and power that thing up. Maybe you could get it to run this way until FreeNAS 11 is fixed.

BTW, did you run the RAM and CPU burn-in tests and make sure your BIOS is up to date?

Other things to try after the other stuff, if you have dual CPUs, remove the second one and the RAM associated with it and place the RAM in the first CPU slots. See if this helps any. If I have the motherboard at my house then I'd see what I could figure out.

I'll tell you what, I'm sorry for misleading you down this path. I had no idea this motherboard was an issue. How would have thought of it, well @BigDave did.

@Ericloewe Could you update the Recommended hardware guide to forbid use of the Asus Z10 motherboard? I think this would be a smart move as this is the first board I've heard of which fails to boot properly.
I have installed ESXi on a USB stick and I have freenas 11 up and running in a vm. Please I need some advice how to passthroug my hard drive to freenas. The sata controller is not listed in the device list for passthroug. The board has a Intel C612 Chipset

Thanks a lot

Edit: I have solved then passthroug problem. Everything works like a charm

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you found a solution. I think you will like running ESXi in the long run.

EDIT: If you made any specific BIOS changed, would youplease document those in this thread? It would be good info for the next guy.

Last edited:

ArgaWoW

Patron
Glad you found a solution. I think you will like running ESXi in the long run.

EDIT: If you made any specific BIOS changed, would youplease document those in this thread? It would be good info for the next guy.
Hello Joe,

I hope you can give me again some advice :)

I have uploaded me old config file and everything seems ok. But I have the problem that my nextcloud jail is not available. I also can't ping the ip-adress of the jail. Have I something special to do? All my pool are available?

Thanks in advance

joeschmuck

Old Man
But I have the problem that my nextcloud jail is not available
Meaning the jail does not exist or you cannot access it?

I also can't ping the ip-adress of the jail.
I suspect this it the problem.

What you need to turn on is Promiscuous Mode.
Here is how using the ESXi Web GUI...
1) In the Navigator click on Networking
2) Select the Virtual Switches tab
3) Select vSwitch0 (or your main switch if you renamed it)
4) Under Security policy you should see "Allow promiscuous mode" and I suspect it says No.
5) Click on Edit settings
6) Click on Security
7) Change Reject to Accept
8) Click Save
9) Test your system again.

ArgaWoW

Patron
Meaning the jail does not exist or you cannot access it?

I suspect this it the problem.

What you need to turn on is Promiscuous Mode.
Here is how using the ESXi Web GUI...
1) In the Navigator click on Networking
2) Select the Virtual Switches tab
3) Select vSwitch0 (or your main switch if you renamed it)
4) Under Security policy you should see "Allow promiscuous mode" and I suspect it says No.
5) Click on Edit settings
6) Click on Security
7) Change Reject to Accept
8) Click Save
9) Test your system again.

Worked, thanks a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.