Patron
I am planning to build a new NAS with the following components:

Asus Z10-pe d16 motherboard
2pcs. e5-2683 v3 processors
32 gb ddr4 ecc ram Samsung 2133mh
Psu 1000w 80bronze
6pcs. Wd-red 8tb in a raidz2
Samsung SSD 500gb for jails and vm

I want to do backup, using it as netstorrage and run plex with the possibility to do 4k playback.

What do you guys think about my setup?

Thanks for any respons :)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
Moved thread to appropriate section.

How are you splitting up the RAM between the CPUs? 16GB per CPU?

If you did not mention using this for VMs, I'd say it was a bit overkill. With that said, I feel the CPU to RAM ratio is not proper. If you plan to run VMs then you may need more RAM. Lord knows you will have more than enough CPU cores. My advice, start with a single CPU. If you find you really need more, buy the second one.

Here is the downside... Any single threaded application will only use a single core and with a passmark of 1654 per core, that is not very fast. You should not assume everything will be treated as multi-threaded. Plus the cost of your CPU is very high, unless someone gave you the CPUs.

You should visit the Plex Forum to figure out what is required to stream 4K videos.

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hello, I have got this cpu and don't have to pay for it. So this will be ok. Primarily I plan to use it for plex and this will be ok. I will start with 16gb ram per cpu and will increase it later.

Perhaps a stupid question. Will it be possible to run one processor without HT?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Will it be possible to run one processor without HT?
That is a tricky question that only the BIOS can answer. Go into the BIOS and see what options you have. I'm not use to multi-cpu machines so I can't tell you if you can select each CPU seperately but you should be able to turn off all HT at a minimum. With your core count, I don't see that as a problem.

ArgaWoW

Patron
That is a tricky question that only the BIOS can answer. Go into the BIOS and see what options you have. I'm not use to multi-cpu machines so I can't tell you if you can select each CPU seperately but you should be able to turn off all HT at a minimum. With your core count, I don't see that as a problem.
Tricky is better than stupid :)

I don't have the board yet. It is just ordered an will arrive next week. I will see what options I have in bios. I guess it will be fast enough in any case.

Stux

MVP
Fairly certain, HT on or HT off. there is no half HT.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Are you sure that BSD is supported (by this board)?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you sure that BSD is supported (by this board)?
What makes you say that? It's an Intel chipset, even the NIC. I didn't see any warning signs when I took a quick look at the board.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
What makes you say that? It's an Intel chipset, even the NIC. I didn't see any warning signs when I took a quick look at the board.
supportOS.JPG

joeschmuck

Old Man
I suspect that Asus just didn't try any flavor of BSD on the platform, not that it was tested and failed. I think BSD is not as common as Linux and Windoze.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I suspect that Asus just didn't try any flavor of BSD on the platform, not that it was tested and failed. I think BSD is not as common as Linux and Windoze.
I'm not saying it will not be compatible, I was just pointing out the lack of published support listing...
I'm hoping it works for the OP without issue :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not saying it will not be compatible, I was just pointing out the lack of published support listing...
I'm hoping it works for the OP without issue :)
I understand. And I hope it works without issue as well.

I think it's time to order Chinese Food! :D

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

ArgaWoW

Patron
I understand. And I hope it works without issue as well.

I think it's time to order Chinese Food! :D
Ok, I have cancelled the order for the Asus z10. I am to scared about the incompatibility with freenas. Also I have read about this in an other treat. Can someone give me an advice for a board to buy. That's what I want to have:

Sockel 1151 or 2011
If possible with ddr3 ram support.
Kmv-modul or HDMI connection.
At least 64 gb ram support
Support for a cpu with Passmark > 10000 because it will be used as plex Media server.

Actuall I have a Asus p9d-m with an Xeon 1220 v3. This board supports only 32 gb of ram and because i want to use some vm's

I searched the internet twice, but I am not able to find what I'm looking for.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ok, I have cancelled the order for the Asus z10. I am to scared about the incompatibility with freenas.
That was probably unnecessary; the odds are quite good it would have worked fine. That said, though, it isn't a board we have much (or any, really, AFAIK) experience with.
Can someone give me an advice for a board to buy.
Socket 1150 boards can support 64 GB of RAM, but Socket 1151 can't. And Socket 1150 boards require DDR4, not DDR3. That means you're looking at a Socket 2011 board.
The SuperMicro X9SRI-F with an Xeon E5-1650 meets your stated requirements. Up to 512 GB of RAM, IPMI, 10 SATA ports, and a Passmark around 12000 with that CPU. However, that board is discontinued, so you'd be looking at either used, or new, old stock. The current boards all use DDR4.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Socket 1150 boards can support 64 GB of RAM, but Socket 1151 can't. And Socket 1150 boards require DDR4, not DDR3.
You got that backwards. Socket 1150 support 32Gb and DDR3, socket 1151 64GB and DDR4.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You got that backwards. Socket 1150 support 32Gb and DDR3, socket 1151 64GB and DDR4.
That's what I get for going from memory. Thanks for the correction.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are you 100 sure it will work with freenas 11?
I don't think any of us is 100% sure of that. It looks like it should, and most standard PC hardware does, but I don't know of anyone with personal experience with that board.

Status
Not open for further replies.