My motherboard has died, how do I recover the data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I used the search button to see if this question has been asked before. I can't seem to find anything similar.

There was a power surge at my house, and both my power supply and motherboard are dead. The SSD (FreeNAS was installed), the NAS storage, and the regular HDD all survived. Is there any way for me to access the files in the NAS storage? Can I attach these hard drives to a new motherboard and save the data?

Please let me know if I need to move this thread to another section. I really appreciate any help with this matter.

Best regards,
Mohamed

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I used the search button to see if this question has been asked before. I can't seem to find anything similar.

There was a power surge at my house, and both my power supply and motherboard are dead. The SSD (FreeNAS was installed), the NAS storage, and the regular HDD all survived. Is there any way for me to access the files in the NAS storage? Can I attach these hard drives to a new motherboard and save the data?

Please let me know if I need to move this thread to another section. I really appreciate any help with this matter.

Best regards,
Mohamed

Yes, your data should be fine. Move the HDD's and the SSD boot drive to a new system and fire it up. Come back here for help if any difficulties.

gpsguy

If the motherboard is a different model you might have to delete the old network configuration and readd the new one.

nojohnny101

Wizard
This shouldn't erase the data right?
Correct. When @gpsguy said is referring to the networking settings you previously had setup (such as giving the box a static IP, hostname information, etc.)

That is one of the beauties of FreeNAS, the data and the system OS are separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.