My NASv2 motherboard (SuperMicro, ECC question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig Newton

Dabbler
I have decided to go with a SuperMicro brand motherboard, but I am having trouble narrowing down my decision.

This is the motherboard I am thinking should work. Yes? No? Comments?

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C224 DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182820&ignorebbr=1

This motherboard supports up to 32GB and says it supports ECC. My follow up question is, do I have to use a certain CPU that supports or works better with ECC? Does ECC only refer to RAM? I was thinking of using this processor

Intel Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116907

I am open to suggestions and criticism. :)
My plans are:
6 disk RAIDZ2, 4TB disks (I think that's right)
Keep all personal files and pictures on it
Stream movies from my NAS to a Windows Media Center PC
Stream converted movies and shows to mobile devices
Use plug-ins (not sure which ones yet)

If I am forgetting anything, just let me know. I did read the suggested hardware thread, which is most of the reason I am doing this now. My current setup has run great, but I think this will be better in the long run.

Thanks, Joe

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You must use an ECC supported processor. Just check out the intel ark pages and they will say ECC or no. For example, here's your CPU on ark...

http://ark.intel.com/products/75052/

Fig Newton

Dabbler
Ah. Okay. Thank you for posting to check the arc pages. I just noticed that processor (Intel Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150) has no graphics specifications.

Does that mean it won't run a monitor hooked to the system?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ah. Okay. Thank you for posting to check the arc pages. I just noticed that processor (Intel Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150) has no graphics specifications.

Does that mean it won't run a monitor hooked to the system?

That depends on your motherboard. The manual will tell you if you must include a graphically capable processor or not. :)

Fig Newton

Dabbler
Thanks cyberjock, for all of your help. I have learned so much more the second time around. :)

It looks like that motherboard (SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C224 DDR3 1600) comes with an onboard video chipset. If I decide to go with the Xeon E3-1220 I will double check.

In the mean time, I have been reading that the i3-4130 would probably do everything I need and then some. Thanks for pointing me to the Intel arc pages to look up information about processors. I found that the i3-4130 supports AES (which I am still reading about), and ECC memory.

DJ9

Contributor
You don't really need a video card. Just get a SuperMicro motherboard with IPMI support, and your good. :)

Fig Newton

Dabbler
Yeah the motherboard I am looking at has that.....but I don't know how to use it yet.

Durandal

Explorer
I recently bought a SuperMicro X10SLM-F motherboard and a Intel Core i3 4130T CPU and 16 GB Kingston ECC memory and it has worked perfectly so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.