Motherboard Died need a answer

Bungiex88

Dabbler
My motherboard died in my home server. As long as my 2 NAS drives did not get damaged in this event would i be able to buy a new board transfer everythign over the exact way it was in my old box fire it up and everything run like it should? Mainly us for plex media server. This is my 1st home server i ever had and never had a hardware failure yet. (i wasnt sure if changing the motherboard would make it stroke out.

Another question would i be able to plug into this NAS drive on my windows PC to copy all the files off of it if i wanted a separate backup of everything on it? Like before i buy a new motherboard?

i just dont want to loose anything on this NAS drive. I do have 2 4tb drives but the 1 drive just has a copy of whatever is on the 1st drive.

still new to trueNAS still learning thanks in advance

danb35

Hall of Famer
would i be able to buy a new board transfer everythign over the exact way it was in my old box fire it up and everything run like it should?
Yep. If the new board uses different network hardware than the old one (it shouldn't; the only onboard NICs you should be using would be Intel), you might need to reconfigure the network settings. Otherwise, plug in the boot device and data drives, make sure the boot order is set correctly, and you should be good to go.

ZFS on Windows is pretty flaky, so it's unlikely you'd be able to usefully get your data off the drives in that way.

Bungiex88

Dabbler
Yep. If the new board uses different network hardware than the old one (it shouldn't; the only onboard NICs you should be using would be Intel), you might need to reconfigure the network settings. Otherwise, plug in the boot device and data drives, make sure the boot order is set correctly, and you should be good to go.

ZFS on Windows is pretty flaky, so it's unlikely you'd be able to usefully get your data off the drives in that way.
Thanks im just worried my drives are damaged. i planned on getting a 10tb harddrive to start backing stuff up i dont have a backup yet which includes 1500 movies, 100k songs and all my home videos and pictures of my kids ive actually never had a motherboard fry before. i just assumed it was the psu which is usually the most common failure

If you have some intermediary knowledge with using the command-line ("terminal", "shell"), you can boot from the latest Ubuntu live USB, install ZFS (not sure if they include it by default in the ISO) [1], and then import, mount, and access your datasets on the pool. You can check the pool's status, view the files to confirm they are okay, and even copy everything over to another HDD as an emergency backup.

Keep in mind that your pool wasn't properly "exported" from your TrueNAS system. So you might have to "force" an import.

i dont have a backup yet which includes 1500 movies, 100k songs and all my home videos and pictures of my kids
Going forward, consider a backup as mandatory for data storage.

[1] I believe the latest Ubuntu ISO (23.10, "Mantic Minotaur") does indeed ship with ZFS.