Moving to TrueNAS

kjemison

Dabbler
Let me ask the community this..,

Is it possible to take an existing system running FN 11.1 U7 and run up a system with the current version of TrueNAS... put the hard drives containing data (Pools) from 11.1 U7 and have the system come up and recognize the drives (pools)? ... I ask this as I am trying to find a reliable best way to move to a newer operating system while preserving the data on the drives... This is being considered in a production environment.
Any advice or "better way" to perform this would be appreciated!

Thank you
Kell

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can import your old pool. No problem expected. If your configuration is simple, your approach and recreating the config manually might be the best approach.

Berna

Dabbler
Is ther any way that i can exstrak the setings Informatin from the GUI??
What i mean is that i hav no Clu what i did 5-6 yers ago when i set this freenas up
But i cant Find any menigful info how to retain the setup konfig exep that i can save an setupfile.

what info do i need to build a nw server and migrate old pools and creat some new ons mi ide is to build an new rig completly and migrat old drives in and move over esensila data
But how important is ther it is the same sata card or is it crusil that the drive siting on port 1 still sits on port1 I have raid5 setup now,,,, that is what i know.
Wher is the wizard or How to for that
I dont even know how many drives ther is in it ...
Regards
Berna

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No silver bullet - just careful analysis of the status quo and designing an individual plan. Look at your old system to find out how many disks are in your pool for example. zpool status and gpart show give you all the information you need.