Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Attempting Clean Install of 11.2-U4.1

Thanks
Hi,

I recently received notification via e-mail and the UI that my 11.1-U7 boot pool was degraded. I have finally started the process of removing the old thumb drives and putting in new ones.

After shutting the system down, installed the boot image to a USB drive, booting, and selecting to install the OS to another thumbdrive, the process appears to have started the installation. However, the installation appears to have stopped at "da9p2 added". Image attached. It's been this way for 15-20 minutes at the moment, a lot longer than I'm expecting and, hence, a little anxious.

Do I keep waiting [USB drive being slow?] or do I need to backout, somehow, and start again? Or are my expectations on speed out of wack?

I have a backup of my 11.1-U7 configuration for when I get back in.

Thanks all.

Attachments

Thanks
As if to make a liar of me, the system has just appended

Code:
Installing base-os (1 of 4)

to the screen. Maybe I just need to wait...

Thanks
Hi All,

A few hours later and although there has been some progress; system install now appears to have stopped at, what I'm interpreting as, the 100% mark of base-os (1 of 4). I'm not sure what to expect as I don't recall my original installation of FreeNAS taking anywhere near this long.

Any feedback, advice, reassurance appreciated.

System being installed on Toshiba 16Gb USB drives.

Attachments

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
Thanks

ThreeDee

FreeNAS Experienced
Thanks
I have had better "luck" installing from an install disc instead of USB thumb drive .. even when it did finish installing, I'd get weird other type of errors with my server while it was up and running ..it still seemed to do what I wanted ok despite the errors..

Installed from an ISO image burned to a disc and installation went fine and no more odd errors.

I also ended up installing on to an SSD drive connected via a USB to SATA cable ... that was more than several months ago and still running great

Thanks
Hi @Chris Moore ,
Thanks for your response. No, I considered taking the opportunity to upgrade from 11.1-U7 to 11.2-U4.1. If you're referring to my signature, I intentionally did not update it until the upgrade worked. It so happens that I have chosen to put the working thumb drive back into the server and have successfully rebooted into a working 11.1-U7 system. Now to fix once I have time from the family [or one night in the future].

I'm contemplating using a program like DiskGenius or EaseUS to make a perfect copy of the working boot USB to one of the three that I bought and recreating the mirror. And then upgrading from there when I'm comfortable.

Thanks
Hi @ThreeDee
Like Chris, thank for taking the time to let me know your experience :)
I might try your suggestion using my study computer to create the boot disk onto a RW and then onto a USB. See how it goes!
And SSD via USB to SATA. Will consider that as well :)

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
Thanks
I'm contemplating using a program like DiskGenius or EaseUS to make a perfect copy of the working boot USB to one of the three that I bought and recreating the mirror.
FreeNAS (ZFS) is more than capable of handling that for you. There is no need to involve another software package. You can remove a disk from an existing mirror with the split command, at the command line, here is a reference:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gjooc/index.html

As for adding a fresh drive to the boot pool to create a new mirror, that can be handled from the GUI and there are supposed to be instructions in the user manual for that.
There is also this video that might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AxDtHEA-rM

tfran1990

FreeNAS Experienced
Thanks
just so i have a better understanding. lets say you have a mirror of 2 usb, why would you want to split the mirror just to leave both in the server? I could see maybe if you have 2 mirror usb and you want to replace them with a reliable ssd. In this case you would attach the ssd to the 2 USB drives then split the first usb off then the second until your left with only an ssd.

or maybe that would cause problems.....

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
Thanks
why would you want to split the mirror just to leave both in the server?
The idea is not that you leave both in the server. If your problem is that one of the USB sticks is going bad, you could separate them to test them individually. Then use the one that is working correctly as the source to recreate the mirror using a new USB memory stick.
In this case you would attach the ssd to the 2 USB drives then split the first usb off then the second until your left with only an ssd.
Why would you add the SSD to both USB modules to make a 3-way mirror? Just find the USB module, if there is one, that is working correctly and add the SSD as a mirror to it. Once the mirror is resilvered, split the USB from the SSD and remove the USB and test the SSD to ensure correct boot and operation of the server.

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
Thanks
just so i have a better understanding.
I think you misunderstood the entire reason for my suggestion of splitting the two boot devices.
or maybe that would cause problems.....
You can't keep the two in the system as it could cause problems with the system not knowing which to boot from.