Moving a ZFS volume of 6 disks to new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am using the Shell from GUI is that ok?
Not ideal.

Still have not figured out TMux though..
tmux is non-negotiable. You cannot afford to lose track of a process that will easily run for several days.

There are tutorials for tmux on the internet, it's really not that complicated once you have the man page in front of you.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am using the Shell from GUI is that ok?
No, it really isn't. It'll get you by for a command here and there, but it eats control characters, making things like tmux very difficult to use. Set up SSH.

gpsguy

No.

With 3GB drives, RAIDz2 is preferable.

So the idea is to have a new seven disk Z1 config afterwards (bought some more new drives and will transport the data over Lan) is Z1 with seven drives a good config?

nasnice

Explorer
Thx

What about the inappropriate IOCTL?

And the errors on the new WD drive should I RMA it?

WHat would be the advantage of using SSH > I am on a private LAN with plenty of BW and behind a FW...

danb35

Hall of Famer
WHat would be the advantage of using SSH
Advantage compared to what? Compared to using the web GUI shell? Well, the big one is that it works--it doesn't eat control characters, you can do copy/paste, you can adjust the window size at will, no doubt plenty of others. Compared to Telnet? There's just no excuse to use telnet any more.

I would be concerned about the errors coming up in badblocks. What's the output of 'smartctl -a' on that drive?

RichTJ99

Patron
Did you RMA the drives? Is your system up & running?

nasnice

Explorer
RMA proved to be very difficult... but it is finally in progress.....

One advance RMA arrived friday and is running badblocks as I write... The other RMA is still not started (BY WD) but they will do it.

WD had a problem with my creditcard adress being in one country and the actual exchange adress being in another country... But that seems resolved now...

nasnice

Explorer
WD has, finally, delivered the second failing drive and the system is filling up as I write. I decided to make a new larger Pool since the old pool was almost full and the drives near end of warranty.

Thanks all for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.