Moving a ZFS volume of 6 disks to new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasnice

Explorer
Hi all,
I am using a ZFS media server with the following config:
Freenas 9.3 stable 201501212031, X64, Celeron, 16 GB
Intel Asrock B85M Pro4
4WD red 3TB and 2 Seagate ST3000 3 TB in Z2.

Now I finally have some money to spare to build a real system;

Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O with 32 GB Samsung ECC and a G3220 pentium processor.

My question is can I just move these disks to the new box? And will the config still work afterwards?

While chapter 8.1.6. Import Volume states this is possible it also more or less assumes you are re installing on the same hardware.. Otherwise I would have to export the drives/pool/volume? How is that accomplished?

And what about the ECC function? Is that more or less automatic?

TIA

ECC RAM is handled on the hardware level. There is nothing for you to setup.
Also, unless you are doing a lot of VMs you can probably get away with 16Gb of RAM.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, you can move the disks, and your USB or other boot device, directly to the new box. The only thing that might need some configuration is the network interface, if the NIC on your new board uses a different driver than the NIC on the old one, and if you've manually configured the interface.

nasnice

Explorer
Ok thanks for the heads up...
Sounds real easy.. but how about exporting the drives? Is that still necessary, if yes how do I accomplish that?

Detaching I believe it is called, correct?

TIA

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No real need. Shut down the server properly, move everything over, turn it on and everything should automagically work, besides the NIC.

nasnice

Explorer
Hi Eric,
Thanks for clearing that up!
Since you are also an expert on Supermicro boards could you tell me how many SATA cables come with the board?

Also what is necessary to connect SATA drives to the SAS connectors on the board?

TIA

Both of the X10SL7-Fs I've order recently came with 6 SATA cables. They were red. I don't remember the length though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
2 cables for bulk-packaged boards, 6 for retail-packaged boards, generally.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Both of the X10SL7-Fs I've order recently came with 6 SATA cables. They were red. I don't remember the length though.
My bulk X10SLM+-F from amazon.de came with two basic red 0.75ish meter SATA cables.

nasnice

Explorer
Ok Just back from a longish trip and finally have time for the server...

My MB X10SL7-F came with 6 basic ATA cables of 57 cm b.t.w.

I now have some more questions:

Do I need to flash the SAS controller as discussed in another topic before moving the pool?

I have 6 SATA connectorss and 8 SAS connectors... Which ones to use?

Any suggestions for a quick and dirty Memory/MB burn in test? (preferraly from bootable USB)

TIA

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, you should make sure your SAS controller has the appropriate firmware.

The SAS ports are very slightly preferable but it doesn't really matter. All the ports are usable/useful.

Memtest86 is the go-to for memory testing. "Quick" is bad. Test for days. Then burn in your system. Process should take weeks.

nasnice

Explorer
So I have done memtest86 for a week and no errors. Now I am about to try and reflash the LSI controller and I read here on the forums to use Firmware 16 Not the latest 19 version. Is this still a valid statement?

I am also a little at a loss with the UEFI though, it does not find any map? Is this normal? I had a freedos USB stick inserted but do not know how to find it? Is there anywhere a walkthrough for reflashing the SAS 2308 that is up to date / still usable?
TIA

gpsguy

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You should also be able to flash it with the onboard sas2flsh utility in FreeNAS. A minor version bump (P19->P20) shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to use singleuser mode if you go that route.

nasnice

Explorer
Would it be possible to use the latest freenas release in stead of the Feenas 9.3 stable of 201501212031 that is running now?

Without pool trouble I mean. I will reattach the drives in the same order to the reflashed sas controller and the new MB.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes, no problem.

You don't even need to plug the drives in the same order, FreeNAS don't care about that.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You should be running P16 of the firmware with FreeNAS 9.3. If you use the latest FreeNAS (9.3.1 whatever), use phase 20 firmware. You don't need to worry about the order in which you have the drives connected. The system tracks those by the label, which is unique.

nasnice

Explorer
Ok Thanks for all the pointers... I want to stress test some recertified drives before I migrate my ZFS pool.

2 Seagates 3TB and two WD Red 3Tb.

Is there a preferred test utillity that can stress test the controller as well?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

nasnice

Explorer
Good Morning,

Yesterday received the last WD 3 TB harddisks, and started tests, according to the burn in sticky... I do have some issues and questions.

I am using the Shell from GUI is that ok?

After the kern geom command when I start badblocks I get
"
set_0_disk: Inapproriate ioctl for device Is that OK?
"
While the tests start happily... that is to say

One of the new drives already has 12 errors in the 0xAA pattern?
161360120one, 7:22:28 elapsed (0/0/0 errors till 11/0/0 errors. RMA?

Still have not figured out TMux though.. I have two sessions how can I switch between the sessions?

So the idea is to have a new seven disk Z1 config afterwards (bought some more new drives and will transport the data over Lan) is Z1 with seven drives a good config?

Status
Not open for further replies.