Mini DLNA Available on PS3, Computer, but Not Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstang1988

Contributor
All,

Looking for ideas or help. I have Mini DLNA working on my PS3 and Windows 7 machine. I can browse/play videos, music, pictures on both devices. It does not enumerate on my Xbox 360 even after hours of uptime. PS3 Media Server and the native PC sharing support both enumerate on all devices. Any thoughts? Do I need to open up a different firewall rule for the 360? I managed to solve my other issue which was showing only a subset of my audio. I simply retagged the Audio files and it fixed the issue.

I'm running 8.3 freenas and the 8.3 plugins.

I am running it on ESXi and a virtual NIC, however I think we can rule this out as being the issue as the PS3 and PC both see the DLNA enumeration.

Thanks!

-mstang1988

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you saying the XBox cannot see the DLNA server at all or it's not listing the media or the media is listed however you cannot play it? And then at the end of the first paragraph you state you were able to get audio files which looks like you're talking about the Xbox again so I'm a bit confused, and we go back to my first question in this posting. The word enumerate really doesn't elaborate on what is or isn't present on your Xbox although it may seem quite obvious to you so please give some details and maybe we can give the the correct advice.

But if you have a listing of videos on your Xbox and you cannot play them, that's a different question all together in which the answer is your Xbox is not transcoding the media into a format it can use, unlike the PS3 which does accept a lot of formats and will transcode them internally. MiniDLNA does not transcode unfortunately.

mstang1988

Contributor
Are you saying the XBox cannot see the DLNA server at all or it's not listing the media or the media is listed however you cannot play it? And then at the end of the first paragraph you state you were able to get audio files which looks like you're talking about the Xbox again so I'm a bit confused, and we go back to my first question in this posting. The word enumerate really doesn't elaborate on what is or isn't present on your Xbox although it may seem quite obvious to you so please give some details and maybe we can give the the correct advice.

But if you have a listing of videos on your Xbox and you cannot play them, that's a different question all together in which the answer is your Xbox is not transcoding the media into a format it can use, unlike the PS3 which does accept a lot of formats and will transcode them internally. MiniDLNA does not transcode unfortunately.

Sorry, I was a bit confusing. I had another thread as I was only seeing part of the audio on any render (ps3/computer) but resolved that. I should not have brought that up here.

The PS3 and computer can see the DLNA server, the Xbox 360 cannot.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If the Xbox cannot see the DLNA server then as you suspected the firewall is the likely cause. Recommend that if you cannot figure it out, you should contact an Xbox forum. Are you using wireless somehow or some different equipment between the PS3 and the Xbox? Those are types of questions you should be asking.

mstang1988

Contributor
If the Xbox cannot see the DLNA server then as you suspected the firewall is the likely cause. Recommend that if you cannot figure it out, you should contact an Xbox forum. Are you using wireless somehow or some different equipment between the PS3 and the Xbox? Those are types of questions you should be asking.

My general setup:

All wired, all connected to the same 1Gb switch with about 3-4 ft cables between them and my NAS (it sits in the living room under the TV). The firewall would have to be on Freenas which is why I posted on this forum. I've also considered finding the forum for MiniDLNA as I suspect it's listening ports etc would be the issue but the thing that boggles my mind is why others don't have this issue with their 360.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The problem is not with the FreeNAS system [which includes MiniDLNA to which I'm well versed at] since you can see it on your PS3 or a computer on your network. The problem is either your router or Xbox and you have some issue there, that is why no one else has issues with FreeNAS on their Xbox360's. Sorry, it's that simple and that is why I tried to reference you to a forum that could help you.

So you are saying that you have the FreeNAS computer connected directly to a network switch AND the Xbox is also directly connected to that same network switch, nothing in the path except two cables to make the connections? If that is true and your Xbox cannot see the DLNA service I can only give you are few things to check, none of which are the FreeNAS computer...

1) Swap the Ethernet connections around on the network switch.
2) Replace the Ethernet cable going to the Xbox.
3) Do you have a subnet on either the FreeNAS or Xbox other than 255.255.255.0 ? If so, fix it.
4) Is your network switch programmable? If so, investigate it.

Those are all based on you having the network switch, Xbox and FreeNAS connected together directly.

Again, if you can access DLNA on a single external device, FreeNAS and MiniDLNA are working properly.

mstang1988

Contributor
The problem is not with the FreeNAS system [which includes MiniDLNA to which I'm well versed at] since you can see it on your PS3 or a computer on your network. The problem is either your router or Xbox and you have some issue there, that is why no one else has issues with FreeNAS on their Xbox360's. Sorry, it's that simple and that is why I tried to reference you to a forum that could help you.

So you are saying that you have the FreeNAS computer connected directly to a network switch AND the Xbox is also directly connected to that same network switch, nothing in the path except two cables to make the connections? If that is true and your Xbox cannot see the DLNA service I can only give you are few things to check, none of which are the FreeNAS computer...

1) Swap the Ethernet connections around on the network switch.
2) Replace the Ethernet cable going to the Xbox.
3) Do you have a subnet on either the FreeNAS or Xbox other than 255.255.255.0 ? If so, fix it.
4) Is your network switch programmable? If so, investigate it.

Those are all based on you having the network switch, Xbox and FreeNAS connected together directly.

Again, if you can access DLNA on a single external device, FreeNAS and MiniDLNA are working properly.
The Xbox 360 Can see other DLNA servers on that switch INCLUDING my PC. Thus why I cannot state it's the 360's problem or the 360's connectivity problem. I will also look in those forums but the 360 is a closed system, no way to get logs to see if failed connections are attempted etc where logs are generated with FREENAS etc.

1,2,4) This isn't the issue as the 360 can see other servers on the network
3) Just the one subnet.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That's all the advice I can give you and I doubt you will find any additional advice here because the FreeNAS/MiniDLNA is working based on your comments above. It's in the Xbox or your network. Good Luck.

mstang1988

Contributor
That's all the advice I can give you and I doubt you will find any additional advice here because the FreeNAS/MiniDLNA is working based on your comments above. It's in the Xbox or your network. Good Luck.

Solved. It boiled down to the setup of MiniDLNA and setting the serial and model to numeric values. It now shows up on the xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.