Migrating to new case

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmsmith

Dabbler
Hello, I tried doing a quick search but didn't come up with anything that answered my questions specifically.

I am planning to migrate my current FreeNAS hardware from a Rackable SE3016 to a SUPERMICRO 846E16-R1200B. Can I simply shutdown the server, migrate the hardware (CPU, motherboard, USB drives, hard drives, etc), and turn it on?

I'm looking for recommendations for best practice. I will do a save on the config but but is exporting the volumes required? Thanks for reading.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
FreeNAS will not be aware of it's new home, if the hardware does not change (i.e. you make proper
connections to the backplane), FreeNAS will "find" the disks and the pool will mount without any
actions required by you.
Saving a copy of your configuration would be recommended for ANY change, but the exportation of
the volume should not be necessary.

tmsmith

Dabbler
FreeNAS will not be aware of it's new home, if the hardware does not change (i.e. you make proper
connections to the backplane), FreeNAS will "find" the disks and the pool will mount without any
actions required by you.
Saving a copy of your configuration would be recommended for ANY change, but the exportation of
the volume should not be necessary.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.