Migrating to FreeNAS - Check my plan for me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
Hi Roger - Yes, that was the reason they recommended using disks as RAID 0 - to gain full access to the drive for ZFS. If you're interested, the blog is https://calomel.org/zfs_raid_speed_capacity.html -- They were using an LSI MegaRAID 9265-8i

Yes, people have done that but many of the experts here (of which I am not one) will advise someone in that position to get a new controller instead. You often can't get access to SMART data on the drives, and perhaps other mysterious things happen if you use RAID 0 underneath ZFS. But if it isn't an option with your board that's no problem!

averyfreeman

Contributor

rogerh

Guru
I'll leave an opinion on that to the experts! (They do seem to favour various LSI controllers that can be flashed to JBOD functions.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So, along those lines, if I wanted to get a controller card down the line, should I opt for something like this? http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.cfm

It's a 8x SAS controller based on the Marvell 9480 chipset with no hardware RAID support (JBOD only)
Not really.

You'd be looking at an LSI SAS 2008/2308 or 3008 controller, meaning the following cards, for instance:
LSI SAS 9211, 9207 or 9240
IBM M1015 or M1115
... and plenty of others.

averyfreeman

Contributor
Oh, yeah, I should have done a little reading before I posted that --- I poked around and saw that FreeBSD is not supported by the Marvell 9480 :/

Thanks for the recommended drive cards / controllers, Eric. I'll bet there's a sticky somewhere with some info about that, isn't there ...?? (Hmm....)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep.. see the recommended hardware sticky in the hardware section.

Status
Not open for further replies.