Sanity check my first build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naskolnikov

Dabbler
Hope you are not thinking I am being mean?

Absolutely not, my skin is pretty thick so you can throw whatever at me. ;)

Checked the cable, it actually is CAT5e. Not that it matters anymore, i activated the IPMI port with a little help from a VGA cable and now i have access to the box and can continue burning it in.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Well at least that part is good then. So the last piece of the puzzle is to get the other NICs working since you are going to want to be able to get to the Web GUI...

So that still makes me wonder if the Motherboard Jumper(s) are properly set to enable the NICs?

P.S., You want to make sure the system is powered off and unplugged when messing around inside. Also, touch something else metal first to discharge any static electricity (in lieu of a proper anti-static wristband). :)

With two people thus far having the same issue, yours seems like the best bet to truly see if the 10G NIC(s) do work with 1G equipment (since the other person is waiting for their new equipment to arrive).

Naskolnikov

Dabbler
I installed FreeNAS10 and rebooted, pulled the cable and put it into LAN1 and lo and behold; everything works as intended. Why i couldn't use IPMI over LAN1 is a true mystery (all jumpers were correct) but at the moment i won't investigate it further.
After moving the NAS and plugging both the IPMI and LAN1 ports i can now safely run tests via putty while monitoring temperatures with the IPMI client. Smooth sailing...

Naskolnikov

Dabbler
At the moment i am using the beta to check if the harddrives are up to snuff. After a complete hardware burn in i will decide what version of FreeBSD will be installed, most likely it will be the beta though since i still need to relearn alot. By the time i am, once again, semi-fluent in *nix the beta most likely won't be beta anymore.

Anyways, if anyone cares about what to expect from this kind of hardware in terms of temperatures; while doing smartctl -t long /dev/adaN on all six drives as well as molesting the CPU with for i in 1 2 3 4; do while : ; do : ; done & done (no hyperthreading so "only" 4 cores available) my CPU temperature will max out at 75°C while the CPU fan (seriously haphazardly "mounted" by simply standing the fan's rubber mounts on top of the heat sink's screws) spins up to 2100RPM. When i kill the molesting processes the CPU temperature goes back to 50°C and the fan settles at 1400RPM.
The harddrives temperatures vary between 35°C and 39°C and this is with the case fans running at medium speed and the tests are ~80% done. I made a script that polls the temperature of the drives and displays an up to date reading that i plan to run while doing the long tests as well as the badblocks -b 4096 -ws /dev/adaN test. If that test results in higher temperatures there is always the high speed setting on the case fans to use. If that fails there is always the option of placing the computer in a well ventilated area (i know, it should always be in a well ventilated area but the only spare network cables lack of length forced the issue).

Image of trends showing temperatures rising and falling when the CPU goes from ~0% to 100% to ~0% load:
ipmisensors.png

A snapshot of temperature of the harddrives:
adatemp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.