Memes! TrueNAS, ZFS, and related | (Share your own!)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
well. considering the whole humor of it comes from actually watching it...and it outright states it's an April fools joke....MADE BY LTT.

Well considering that I previously said I can't watch YouTube videos on the office netwwork, providing this clip

the video is making a joke out of how people (like you... and a bunch of others) doubt he knows what he is doing and is just a shill for money.

and then saying something like this seems relatively unfair. I judge LTT by the comments I've read in their own forums, which appear to support comments made here by people I respect as levelheaded, such as @DanB's "his on-screen persona is that of a toddler who's unwisely been given power tools, and that isn't informative or (to me) entertaining." or @NickF's "Linus was shitty at being a CEO once his company got to a size he couldn’t use his management style on" or @Arwen's "LTT sometimes seems to favor some vendor for no apparent reason" or @DanB's "When the motherboard mounting points didn't match the chassis he drilled a hole in the mobo, and then acted surprised when it didn't work." That's just in this thread. The grievance tone in the posts in the LTT forum thread I read was quite remarkable as well, so I have a hard time believing that this interpretation of LTT is significantly off base. I went over to one of my FreeBSD browser VM's, where I can see YouTube's web site but not watch their videos (no sound), went to YouTube, put in "Linus Tech Tips", and got a list of videos --

1. The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility
  2. Linus Tech Tips is Bleeding Subscribers
  3. The Problem with Tech Media: Ego, Dogmatism, and Cult of Personality (with Linus face in the still image)
  4. What do we do now? (posted by Linus Tech Tips)
  5. HW News - Linus Tech Tips' Terrible Response, ESMC, &
  6. The Linus Tech Tips Situation
  7. No one is talking about the REAL issue - Gamers Nexus and Linus (w/ arrow pointing at Linus face)
  8. Linus Tech Tips is in Huge trouble
  9. Madison's Story ("The Response" w/ Linus face, the first one that doesn't sound plausibly terrible just at the title, but look at comments)
  10. Linus is gone.
  11. LEAKED Linus Tech Tips Audio HR Meeting - Day after MADISON
  12. LTT's Worst Week Ever - Tech
  13. Twitter VS LinusTechTips
  14. Linus Tech Tips Drama Explained
  15. Linus Tech Tips Shuts Down Amid Ethical Controversies - SciTech
  16. LTT TV - 24/7 Tech Tips

Okay so almost all of this sounds bad or adversarial or negative up 'til #16. I have no idea what's happened here but I'll even be willing to concede that this seems way off even for my generally negative impression of LTT that Linus has earned over the last umpteen years. I don't seem to be the only one with a negative impression. Posting useless "joke" videos in a thread where we're discussing this semi-seriously is probably a disservice to LTT, if indeed there is any value to be had there. I don't want to be unduly unfair to anyone. But that doesn't seem to be a problem in this case. What I'm seeing both here and in LTT forums seems mega not good.

NickF

Guru
I think we can agree on alot here. If I make the following negative assumptions:
  • LTT videos are designed to be entertaining (theres an inherent negative cost in making light of serious issues)
  • LTT videos have been shown to provide errors in reporting the facts
  • Linus has a bit of an ego problem and can be a jerk.
I can also make some positive assumptions
  • There are smarter people than Linus who work at his company at this point.
  • Linus' decision making ability is undergoing a self-imposed embargo
  • The work they are attempting to do is good work.
  • I actually enjoy LTT content and the format in general.

I personally can live with those assumptions and continue to give them the benefit of the doubt. I understand that alot of you folks cannot and I respect that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The work they are attempting to do is good work.
In seriousness, what is the "good work" they are attempting to do?

De gustibus non disputandum est. People are free to watch and enjoy whatever they like, of course. But surely you recognize that there's a problem when a video that's intended as entertainment is taken as serious tech content, and it's a problem we've seen here over and over again--people will watch someone like Linus, think he's giving solid tech advice, and set up TrueNAS CORE 13 on a Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM and a 20-disk-wide RAIDZ1 array. And then we're the bad guys when we say that's a fatally flawed setup.

artlessknave

Wizard
Posting useless "joke" videos in a thread where
it's a meme thread....and off-topic.
1692715579875.jpeg

In seriousness, what is the "good work" they are attempting to do?

De gustibus non disputandum est. People are free to watch and enjoy whatever they like, of course. But surely you recognize that there's a problem when a video that's intended as entertainment is taken as serious tech content, and it's a problem we've seen here over and over again--people will watch someone like Linus, think he's giving solid tech advice, and set up TrueNAS CORE 13 on a Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM and a 20-disk-wide RAIDZ1 array. And then we're the bad guys when we say that's a fatally flawed setup.
LTT's videos cannot be taken as "strictly entertainment" when:
a.) they set up an actual testing lab (they have a series of videos on this, and do have high-tech testing equipment)
b.) stating their intention is to do serious testing on RF, keyboard lifespan, mice, power supplies, cables, and other equipment,
c.) state their intention is unbiased, truthful data-driven reports,
d.) state their intention is for their viewers to be able to make informed purchases based on their testing,
e.) LTT started as "Linus Tech Tips" which focused on providing useful technical tips, and still claims to provide useful technical information (Linus himself stated the sponsorship is needed in order to provide the testing facilities, staff, and equipment)

I take this straight from watching LTT videos with Linus himself stating the above, and such statements are not infrequent. If one takes Linus stating "Trust me bro" regarding the backpack "warranty" as a joke instead of a serious response to a warranty inquiry, then their customers purchases are also valued similarly, and that's why this history of Linus telling people he deserves their trust has turned to into what I'll call "an LTT Scandal" given the size of it (given Forbes found it be enough to report on). (and to a smaller extent, we here are also impacted negatively by his advice as Dan states).

iu

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The ultimate meme here is, of course, the fact that the off-topic thread about memes has itself gone off the topic's rails and flown straight into a discussion about LTT. Maybe one day we'll be able to keep threads on topic, but that day is not today.

The ultimate meme here is, of course, the fact that the off-topic thread about memes has itself gone off the topic's rails and flown straight into a discussion about LTT. Maybe one day we'll be able to keep threads on topic, but that day is not today.
You should have made that a meme. :grin:

If the previous videos weren't enough, and by that I mean where he claimed to "apologize" which in reality means
  • blame others for his actions,
  • monetize the "apology" video so he (Linus) makes money off it,
  • and of course use an in-video LTT-Noctua screwdriver ad to self-promote sales,
it seems Linus Sebastian continues to issues statements...doing exactly the same thing, which is why people are continuing to condemn his actions.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'll be frank, Linus admitted to the importance of him lining his own pockets not just at the expense of other companies, but to the exclusion of caring about anyone but himself even if it destroys another company...all for $100. I'm specifically referring to the purposeful test on a CPU the Billet Labs cooler doesn't physically fit, then auctioning off the Billet prototype when it was not only obvious Billet Labs needed it back, but Billet specifically asked for its return, then Linus further stating nobody should buy the cooler because...he said so. I find that disgusting. Credit to Gamers Nexus for 1.) avoiding the topic until Linus forced them to comment, and 2.) honesty in reporting. (This ongoing situation with Linus lack of integrity has grown to the point Forbes reported on it.)

Ah. This all helps clarify what has been going on, bonus points for some useful links, some of us follow and read them. Thanks for the extra effort. As someone who operates a small Billet-Labs-type company that developed SATA based object storage servers for USENET back in the day, it gives me the chills to see Billet treated with such a cavalier attitude. Small companies often operate on a knife's edge where the difference between success and failure is just some random bad luck.

But surely you recognize that there's a problem when a video that's intended as entertainment is taken as serious tech content, and it's a problem we've seen here over and over again--people will watch someone like Linus, think he's giving solid tech advice, and set up TrueNAS CORE 13 on a Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM and a 20-disk-wide RAIDZ1 array. And then we're the bad guys when we say that's a fatally flawed setup.

It's definitely a problem. I lean small-l non-crazy libertarian and respect anybody's right to build whatever dumbarse thing they want to, but the pervasive attitude from the PC world is that anything goes and it gets repetitive to have to constantly correct people about the mainboard, the RAID controller, the array layout, how L2ARC works, sigh.

Wow, that's so pleasantly delusional dude. ;-)

danb35

Hall of Famer
attitude from the PC world is that anything goes
...particularly when the metric for "it works" is hours (if not minutes), rather than years.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
...particularly when the metric for "it works" is hours (if not minutes), rather than years.

Well, this reminds me of days spent programming on the PC back in the PC/XT days, no protection against your program going wild and smashing memory. It used to seem like the metric for "it works" for DOS style C coding was "it compiles and runs" but, y'know, who cares about input sanity checking, error checking, or anything like that. Whereas UNIX code typically checked input sanity and trapped errors, and even reported such to stderr. I think it's just a PC vs UNIX thing.

Ah. This all helps clarify what has been going on, bonus points for some useful links, some of us follow and read them. Thanks for the extra effort. As someone who operates a small Billet-Labs-type company that developed SATA based object storage servers for USENET back in the day, it gives me the chills to see Billet treated with such a cavalier attitude. Small companies often operate on a knife's edge where the difference between success and failure is just some random bad luck.
To summarize my impression from the LTT: What do we do now? video (the apology for the previous apology), it was heavily scripted with the overtone: "we didn't do anything wrong other than not update some charts, in fact we do a lot of stuff right," except for Linus who blamed his staff for screwing up and said they'd continue to do so. (So again it's another self-evangelizing/gas-lighting video.) What Steve at GN was saying is: it's not the charts, the problem is LTT is not doing thorough testing in order to make a production schedule--that's causing the problems, because nobody makes that many "oopsies" for that long without fixing the problems--unless it's how the company works on purpose, which is what the LTT staff blatantly said was the major internal problem (not enough time to get things right).

This LTT video about how serious they are concerning making changes (now that they've been called out and lost viewers and sponsors) can't be taken seriously either: they never addressed how they are going to actually fix the problems at the center of the scandal, instead they read scripted jokes and how the company would create better internal process control--which is more gaslighting (their process flow isn't to blame for the problems). Personally, I take the video seriously, as in "that's how seriously dishonest and self-absorbed they are as a company." It's the same company that says viewers can trust their advice and then says, "Oh no, we lost our data again, but we'll do better next time" yet the next time it's due to the same internal problems.

LTT's CEO is not streaming working with Billet Labs to make things right, then giving Billet Labs the video revenue. It's about LTT, not you, not the guys at Billet, it's about Linus and Evone losing revenue, not the company "doing the right thing" as Linus has claimed many times (yet doesn't do). It's about continued gaslighting, because they want those dollars and will do anything to grab them.

twitter.com-1-1[1].png

danb35

Hall of Famer
they never addressed how they are going to actually fix the problems at the center of the scandal
Ah, so it's iX after they pulled The Release That Must Not Be Named.

OK, not exactly--and of course we have another six years of history from iX since that time--but there are some similarities.

Last edited:
TN-Noob.jpg

Last edited:
TN-Non_ECC.jpg

Last edited:
TN-SelfSmartedMyself.jpg

TN-OutSmartedMyself.jpg

Last edited: