Memes! TrueNAS, ZFS, and related | (Share your own!)

truenas-error-messages.jpg

Last edited:

nemesis1782

Contributor
Good to know that the company behind things is working with a more modern OS, with a much larger user/dev/experience base, that supports more hardware. I find it strange that 12 year old servers are preferred over less than 5 year old consumer technologies like Ryzen and Realtek 2.5GB networking. I donated such a server because I couldn't have sold it if I wanted to.

Yes I'm serious, but I totally expect to be flamed hahahahaha. It's a meme thread, so it's all in good fun, right?
There is a reason older technology is used when reliability is key though.

Also most consumer grade hardware does not support ECC for one, since TrueNAS runs ZFS and only ZFS you don't want non ECC memory ;)

nemesis1782

Contributor
"Say a 'snapshot is a backup', again! Say it again! I dare you. I DOUBLE DARE YOU. Say a 'snapshot is a backup' one more time..."
A snapshot falls within the technical definition of a backup. SOOOOOOOO.

It's not that I disagree with you. But you being technically incorrect doesn't help, sorry!

iu

danb35

Hall of Famer
since TrueNAS runs ZFS and only ZFS you don't want non ECC memory ;)
True, but there's nothing about ZFS that makes this uniquely or especially so. If you care about your data, you should be using ECC regardless of the filesystem.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Good to know that the company behind things is working with a more modern OS, with a much larger user/dev/experience base

I didn't know that iXsystems was moving on from FreeBSD and Linux. What are they working with now? Windows?

I find it strange that 12 year old servers are preferred over less than 5 year old consumer technologies like Ryzen and Realtek 2.5GB networking.

12 year old servers are not preferred. I have a very nice Xeon E-2388G and it works perfectly well. The reason many users buy 12 year old servers is because they're extremely cheap, especially if they use DDR3, and they are perfectly suitable. I can get used gear for just a few hundred bucks instead of the approximately $3K I paid for the current modern platform. Most of the users here like inexpensive. The old hardware is just an obvious choice for the value aspect.

Problems with stuff like Realtek don't magically get any better on Linux, it's a crappy chipset and it had a lot of birthing issues as well. It's like buying a car that has a 4 cylinder engine with a turbo and then wondering why it works crappier than a V-8. You might find some combination of gas and oil that makes it work a bit better, but it'll never be a V-8. If the Ryzen and Realtek stuff had been manufactured with a focus on better compatibility with FreeBSD and Linux, such as hardware testing. better silicon design, and funding high performance driver development, it would work much better. The manufacturers generally target Windows alone in their compatibility testing, so you reap what they sowed.

People have such weird ideas. Look at the why rather than just complaining about it. We'd all love it if every bit of hardware out there was awesome. Problem is, most of it isn't.

nemesis1782

Contributor
True, but there's nothing about ZFS that makes this uniquely or especially so. If you care about your data, you should be using ECC regardless of the filesystem.
Actually ZFS's copy-on-write mechanism is one of the reasons this is more the case for ZFS then traditional systems. Further more arrays are managed in the systems memory, which isn't the case for hardware RAID for instance. Hardware RAID has dedicated memory.

I'm not saying that ECC is not a good idea in any use case. However, the benefit you'd get from ECC would outweigh it's negatives in many ways.

For most consumer operations the errors are irrelevant and can be disregarded.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can we please not go down the endlessly-discussed topic of ECC memory?

nemesis1782

Contributor

Davvo

MVP

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Bravo.

Whattteva

Wizard
Good to know that the company behind things is working with a more modern OS, with a much larger user/dev/experience base, that supports more hardware. I find it strange that 12 year old servers are preferred over less than 5 year old consumer technologies like Ryzen and Realtek 2.5GB networking. I donated such a server because I couldn't have sold it if I wanted to.
Old != bad. There are plenty of "old" things that are still in use today that is a testament to its robustness and maturity. C, for example, still powers virtually all "modern OS's" that you mentioned though Rust is starting to make more appearance. Also, supporting "more hardware" is subjective. BSD's (particularly NetBSD) tend to support more micro architectures than Linux.

As for why older servers are preferred by the forum. I can't speak for everyone, but Realtek NIC's in general aren't recommended for servers because it has a tendency to be flaky under load. As for Ryzen, I actually would love to be able to use Ryzen CPU's as I think they are wonderful chips in terms of performance and power efficiency. However, the lack of official ECC support and hence, the ability to use Registered DIMM's are kind of a deal-breaker for me since I need a lot of RAM for my use case.