Memes! TrueNAS, ZFS, and related | (Share your own!)

LTT-is-super-accurate-and-reliable.jpg

Live by the sword clickbait, die by the sword clickbait.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So, no backups? No replication? Am I allowed to comment on this or will I get entirely kicked off the forum?

danb35

Hall of Famer
LTT is kind of like a train wreck--I don't want to watch, but I can't quite look away. So what did he do this time?

Am I allowed to comment on this or will I get entirely kicked off the forum?
I'll spare you a permaban this one time...

I'm a bad person. As much as it sucks for a tech media group to go through this, I've always found LTT grating and painful to watch. So after being exposed for repeatedly making blunders and sharing false information on their videos (as well as generally not caring for their users' feedback), I'm not crying over their company temporarily halting new YouTube productions.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
LTT is kind of like a train wreck--I don't want to watch, but I can't quite look away. So what did he do this time?

I can't bring myself to watch (especially since I can't watch YouTube on the corporate office network) but I did try to read some of the discussion thread and it apparently makes no sense but seems to contain a tragic amount of grievance and other badness. LTT is painful to watch and I haven't watched an LTT video, I think, since their "whannock(?) server implosion" video. Mostly thankful that we have more resilience in our fileservers than that.

So what did he do this time?

It's an ongoing pattern of the same "hasty" and irresponsible behavior.

They had a recent spat with a company, of which they unfairly reviewed their product due to not knowing basic preparation ahead of time. (Unfairly giving the company bad press for no fault of their own; nor the fault of the product itself.) LTT (or Linus, really) tends to double-down rather than admit fault. This time the community wouldn't let it pass without generating online drama and friction.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I haven't watched an LTT video, I think, since their "whannock(?) server implosion" video.
I think the last one I watched was where he (said he) was trying to build a pfSense box. When the motherboard mounting points didn't match the chassis he drilled a hole in the mobo, and then acted surprised when it didn't work.

I don't know whether he's actually a blithering idiot, or just plays one on TV YT (because it's really hard to believe anyone could be that dumb), but either way it's not what I'm interested in watching--it isn't informative, and that kind of idiocy isn't even entertaining. But I continue to think iX marketing are being very short-sighted in even acknowledging his existence.
...but this makes it sound like it's much worse than simple idiocy.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Unfortunately, poor choices on YouTube do not cause the proverbial death of the channel that would give the expression "YOLO" its teeth.

think the last one I watched was where he (said he) was trying to build a pfSense box. When the motherboard mounting points didn't match the chassis he drilled a hole in the mobo, and then acted surprised when it didn't work.
Ah yes, the radical empiricist school of thought, which rejects such Cartesian farces as "objects exist while they remain out of sight"; the favorite of DIYers 18 months and younger. Incidentally, that is one of many good reasons not to provide babies with power tools.

danb35

Hall of Famer
the radical empiricist school of thought, which rejects such Cartesian farces as "objects exist while they remain out of sight"
Apparently a favorite of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

NickF

Guru
Naw. I still love me some LTT videos.
The problems really stem from understanding it’s Linus’s fault for being a control freak. They all see it now.

Let’s hope his new diminished? role as chief vision officer, coupled with this most recent slice of humble pie give Linus pause to grow up a little…much the same as his company has grown up…and realize things need to change.

He created his own arbitrary bottleneck by tieing himself to everything and not letting people do their jobs. Sometimes you just have to assume work is being done. Others you have to trust but verify. Linus just took that second management strategy to the XTRME.

I’m not going to boycott LTT because Linus was shitty at being a CEO once his company got to a size he couldn’t use his management style on,

Arwen

MVP
LTT is the train wreck that is both entertaining, and hard to look away as it crashes.

Of course, I only watch ones that are interesting to me... even then, I view them with a 2 ton block of salt. (Like most "media" companies... some "media" companies have gone to the dark side, sole existence for profit or political manipulation. LTT sometimes seems to favor some vendor for no apparent reason.)

danb35

Hall of Famer
I’m not going to boycott LTT because Linus was shitty at being a CEO
No, I'm not going to boycott them for that--I'm going to boycott them (or, rather, choose to watch other content) because his on-screen persona is that of a toddler who's unwisely been given power tools, and that isn't informative or (to me) entertaining. I have zero Fs to give about how he (internally) runs his business.

NickF

Guru
No, I'm not going to boycott them for that--I'm going to boycott them (or, rather, choose to watch other content) because his on-screen persona is that of a toddler who's unwisely been given power tools, and that isn't informative or (to me) entertaining. I have zero Fs to give about how he (internally) runs his business.
Ok fine lol

LTT is painful to watch and I haven't watched an LTT video, I think, since their "whannock(?) server implosion" video. Mostly thankful that we have more resilience in our fileservers than that.
I'm putting in quadruple mirrored OS drives. :tongue:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm putting in quadruple mirrored OS drives. :tongue:

That's so yesterday.

You realize we have a resource on how to do (almost) that, right? Or at least a HW RAID1 (two drives) plus another to allow proper ZFS mirroring (that's three) plus also a spare (that's four).

:cool:

artlessknave

Wizard

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Okay well since that's still pretty useless unless you actually watch the video, I found a site to pull subtitles/cc out of YouTube videos. That results in

linus sebastian the canadian youtube

personality is a popular tech guru

creator of a youtube empire spanning

seven channels and 15 million

subscribers he's an icon in the tech

community thanks to his pc building

knowledge and extent you want to know

how to build a pc

[Music]

okay who's the sponsor for this one

it's uh did i fix it yeah all right

ifixit's new mahi driver kit includes

their quarter inch aluminum screwdriver

handle with a magnetic bit socket knurl

grip and swivel top plus 48 driver bits

check it out at the link below now for

the cherry on top we

now for the cherry on top it's time to

install the graphics card

and cut okay throw that in for me

you ready

you know if you just took the 30 seconds

to learn how to do this you wouldn't

need my help all the time

yeah just make sure he's not in the shot

are you done

yeah

all right

rolling

and now i've just installed the graphics

card which means we should be having a

great gaming experience with this rig

just need to fire it up

and uh

that's the main reason i left the cold

hard truth is

linus sebastian doesn't know what

[ __ ] thing about building computers

and you're saying people care about this

it's just a fan and some metal

it's a heat sink like it gives you more

cooling and then your computer goes

faster

that's brilliant

okay here's the title

make your computer game faster with this

one easy trick

write that down

the crazy thing is that this has been

going on since day one i'm shocked no

one picked up on it years ago

when the hands in all the b-roll footage

were clearly asian atlantis is white

he hires people who know what they're

doing and then he pays them to make it

look like he knows what he's doing why

do you think lmg has so many staff we

make youtube videos like vlogs

not oscar-nominated films that doesn't

take 30 people

unless you're trying to make somebody

who wears socks and sandals look smart

on camera welcome to rodrig

it's rog not wrong oh my god

who cares

people care

look they're not gonna pay us unless we

say it properly right then next time

why don't you make sure that if it's rog

you write rog on the [ __ ] script

just redo it

we have to script everything word for

word

like oh you thought the wan show was

live

we film those back-to-back

thanks for tuning in see you again next

week same bad times same bat channel bye

okay we're off

wardrobe change let's go one more

do we have to i like

i'm really tired and i've got a lot of

stuff going on at home

okay

ready

sure

and we're live welcome to the wan show

ladies and gentlemen

luke

almost went public

but linus found out

why do you think you don't see him on

the channel anymore

flow plane

yeah that's totally a real company

it's a dog pound i wanted to end this

years ago

it's not it's just

it's not right

it's

no one says anything to his face but

i i don't think anyone here respects him

i know

three cry five cry

he's done dozens of tutorials showing

other people how to build pcs

you think after faking it for so long

you'd have picked up a thing or two no

one even built anything in here

[ __ ] it just put it back together let me

know when it's done i honestly can't

believe linus has lasted this long like

the guy is so tech illiterate he doesn't

know the light on a webcam means it's

recording

no i'm not gonna look at it i don't give

a [ __ ] about attack

lttstore.com

that's the real play

i know they're too stupid to figure it

out

they'll buy anything with my name on it

[Music]

i've told you before it's it's really

not about the money at this point this

is about leaving a legacy

the legacy

look i

hey are you recording

sorry what video is this for oh um oh

you know it doesn't matter

uh

all all-in-one business invoicing and

accounting solution that's freshbooks

it's designed to be simple and intuitive

so you can spend less time on paperwork

and you can automate tasks like

invoicing organizing expenses tracking

time and following it up uh hey can you

like advance the prompter for me please

ah jeez

sorry linus uh one more time the best

part is that everything is stored in the

cloud so you can switch from the pc to

your mobile device with ease pricing

starts at just 15 dollars per month with

their 25 a month package handling up to

50 billable clients so get 50 off your

first three months of fresh books when

you sign up for a paid plan at

freshbooks.com forward slash tech tips

now they send me the check right hey

yeah yeah all right i'm out

So my interpretation of this is:

1) Pumping sponsor products such as overpriced IFixIt screwdriver kits or Freshbooks
2) Linus can't install a graphics card without help
3) Lying about who installed the graphics card.
4) Something about a heat sink
5) Resulting(?) in stupid trite clickbait video titles
6) It apparently takes 30 people to make him look smart. I probably need 40 but I just do my best to fake looking smart.
7) I *think* I deciphered that he doesn't know what R-O-G is. And I mean, come on, I'm a server guy, haven't made a gaming PC in maybe 20 years. But it's really hard to miss the ubiquitous ASUS gamer brand. And of course they won't pay you if you can't even talk about it sanely.
8) I don't know what the WAN show is all about, probably not what I think, but I like the Batman reference.
9) Other random stuff that makes it clear the YouTube author hates LTT.

Nothing here is new or shocking. LTT and similar is why I have total disdain for a large portion of the YouTube content creators out there, especially the ones pushing bad information. But don't say that around here, speaking vaguely ill of content creators will get you de-modded.

artlessknave

Wizard
well. considering the whole humor of it comes from actually watching it...and it outright states it's an April fools joke....MADE BY LTT.

the video is making a joke out of how people (like you... and a bunch of others) doubt he knows what he is doing and is just a shill for money.
I've seen much of the LTT videos, and while following his builds for servers would......not be a great idea, the channel is mostly about technology enthusiasm, not server grade building.
basically, his channel is the desktop motherboard compared to these forums, which are the enterprise motherboard.
that transcript is pretty terrible.

danb35

Hall of Famer
the video is making a joke out of how people (like you... and a bunch of others) doubt he knows what he is doing
He drilled a hole in a motherboard because it wouldn't fit his chosen case's mounting points, and then acted surprised when it didn't work. Whether he knew better is something only he could say, but that's what he did, and then posted the video.

They had a recent spat with a company, of which they unfairly reviewed their product due to not knowing basic preparation ahead of time. (Unfairly giving the company bad press for no fault of their own; nor the fault of the product itself.) LTT (or Linus, really) tends to double-down rather than admit fault. This time the community wouldn't let it pass without generating online drama and friction.
This comment pretty much sums it up:
@kooijbas 1 day ago
He doesn't want to spend $200 of his own multi-million dollar company to do the review right, but he has no problem auctioning off a $1000 R&D prototype of a 2 man start-up company. That should tell you all you need to know about this man.
Conversely, the members here on the TrueNAS forums work to save others' time and money while still getting top-notch system reliability and performance, a vast contrast to...I'll be frank, Linus admitted to the importance of him lining his own pockets not just at the expense of other companies, but to the exclusion of caring about anyone but himself even if it destroys another company...all for $100. I'm specifically referring to the purposeful test on a GPU which the Billet Labs cooler doesn't physically fit, then auctioning off the Billet prototype when it was not only obvious Billet Labs needed it back, but Billet specifically asked for its return, then Linus further stating nobody should buy the cooler because...he decided people shouldn't. I find that disgusting. Credit to Gamers Nexus for 1.) avoiding the drama...until Linus forced them to comment, and 2.) honesty in reporting. (This continually ongoing situation with Linus lack of integrity has grown to the point Forbes reported on it.)

The point being the integrity found here on the TrueNAS forums is refreshing and welcome. THANK YOU to fellow members who spend their time helping others (like myself) become better SysAdmins. (though in my case that's probably pretty easy as there's so much room for improvement :wink: )

LTT-Auction.jpg

Last edited: