mdadm / lvm2 -> ZFS migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidkierz

Cadet
i am migrating a linux fileserver to freenas zfs, and have have a couple fundamental questions
my linux LVM was setup with 19 different Logical Volumes. EX: music, movies, downloads, home etc..
when moving this data to ZFS should i be putting in into zvol's or datasets?
should i keep everything separate or put all into one?

I only have 2 of the 3 physical disks at this time for my destination zpool. i created the raidz zpool with 2 active 3TB disks and 1 member which was a 3TB sparse file. then took the sparsefile device offline. I plan on adding the read disk soon. When i created the zpool via the command line, i didn't setup encryption via geli. I am considering using encryption, but wondering about what kind of hindrance if any it will have on the zfs functionally / flexibility ? If i decide to start over and add that layer of crypto i will be doing so via the command line, any good pointers on a howto?
thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
the zvols versus datasets versus folders debate depends on many things. There is no yes/no answer except which is simplest: folders.

Each of the other options has its own advantages and disadvantages that come with them. I'd recommend you read up on datasets and zvols and see what works for you. Most people will find folders or datasets the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.