How To Offline ZFS Disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCochran

Contributor
Hi!
I'm using FreeNAS 9.1.1-RELEASE-X64. I just noticed now from reading the daily email I get from the FreeNAS system that two of the disks for a ZFS pool named pictures1 have faulted. It looks like they need to be replaced.

The manual for 9.1.2 says that the disks have to be identified and then taken offline. How do I do this in the GUI? The GUI screens don't match the screen shots given in the manual. For example I don't see a "Volume Status" tab.

Is there a command line method for taking ZFS disks offline and then replacing them?

In the shell, 'zpool status' shows the GPTID for the two failed drives. Then I used 'glabel status' to discover that da5 and da11 are the bad disks.

It also looks like a ZFS scrub did a repair on the pool on October 13, and the pool went into degraded status on October 17, so I'm fixing this problem late.

Thanks for any help!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You need to use the manual that matches your FreeNAS version. You are running 9.1.0 so you should stick with the 9.1.0 manual.

The offline button step will not apply if your disk is already offline(which it is since your pool is degraded).

BobCochran

Contributor
The manuals (either for 9.1.1 or the 9.1.2 beta which is what the Documentation web page shows) on the relevant pages do not tell you that after selecting the volume of interest in View Volumes, a row of buttons appears on the lower left area of the GUI screen and the rightmost of these is the Volume Status button. Hence my confusion. I have replaced both physical drives and in the GUI, following the manual, REPLACE'ed them. All is well now, the pool is heathy.

For the record, Oracle tells how to do this on the command line.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gbcet/index.html

D

dlavigne

Both of those manuals state that under Figure 6.3k:
If you click the entry for a ZFS volume, eight icons will appear at the bottom of the screen. In order from left to right, these icons allow you to:

BobCochran

Contributor
Both of those manuals state that under Figure 6.3k:
If you click the entry for a ZFS volume, eight icons will appear at the bottom of the screen. In order from left to right, these icons allow you to:
Thank you. I responded like someone trying to correct a problem and who was also in a bit of a panic. I zeroed in on section 6.3.12, "Replacing a Failed Drive or SSD", on page 126 of the 9.1.1 manual. I saw Figure 6.3r. You may want to include a reference to Figure 6.3k in a footnote.

Status
Not open for further replies.