ZFS Resize -

Status
Not open for further replies.

subcool

Cadet
Ok. Its a lil too late to flog me about whats happened.
So here is my setup.

I have Freenas 8.2 on a Virtual Box.
My machine is a 64x amd dual core with 4gb ram.
I have severely limited supplies and materials.

I setup the machine with two disk, both on a single 2tb drive.
one of the disks, i had to start small, and then resize as i made space for it.
It started out at 420gb, i cleared space on the drive, and with Virtual box expanded the .VDI to 850gb.
When i booted into Freenas, the Original ZFS i created to be 400gb and then expanded to 850gb is now shown as unknown.
When i goto import volumes, it see's the new resized ada2 as 850gb.

When i run zpool status and such, it does not see the original zfs i created as "Storage".
How do i resize the zfs without losing any of my data?

I did this under the impression that i could resize the zfs. The only guides and help i can find rely on the zpool commands.
Please help, i've been a few weeks on this already, and need this operational. it is not for a work environment. But i do need this drive functional. During this venture i now lost 2 laptops and need to recover them. I do not have any secondary disks to back up this drive onto. This is the backup. And i dont no have any funds to purchase a second HDD.

thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, i got nothing. There's a reason why a thread titled Please do not run FreeNAS in production as a Virtual Machine! and part of it is because virtualizing disks doesn't work quite 100% for ZFS and FreeNAS.

Normally you can resize ZFS.. on real hardware. As you take each disk on a zpool offline and replace it with a bigger one, when the last disk is replaced it should auto-expand. But when you do the expansion through virtualizing that's not the expected procedure and you aren't moving data around from old to new disks. From FreeNAS perspective your smaller disk suddenly just grew bigger because you rebooted. That's not a condition that exists in the real world and the software likely isn't able to cope with the sudden change of a disk without actually doing an upgrade (aka replacing it with a bigger one).

I'm not sure how you'd get to your data(at least it sounds like you can't access your data right now) or how you'd "finish" the expansion.

subcool

Cadet
Yes I ran across that thread information after I was neckdeep in this problem- I just believe given its BSD UNIX system there must be someway to edit some filing and change the number of the drive from 452 850 it's a virtual drive it's just one little character of information

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The thread is new, but the arguments against virtualizing have been around as long as I've been on this forum. Also, if you had read up on ZFS at all you'd have seen comments such as "bare metal only" and "do not use hardware RAIDs or virtualize".

Sorry, I have no idea how to help you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.