Resizing auto space giving to iocage folders.

SirNagrom68

Cadet
I have 6 x 6TB drives in a RAID 6. So I should have 24TB to play with. Yet FreeNAS has given each dataset 577.78GB in space. It's easy to change the max size of each of the datasets, as you can see I changed the "log" folder under "jails" to 2GB. I was wondering what is a good safe drive space to give each. Under the "iocage" folder there are 3 main folders: download, jails, releases. Again, each of mine is auto set to 578GB which is crazy. I want to resize each folder and give it back to my main share drive. Anyone have safe sizes I should set these folders at?

Then the big question: Once I release the drive space, how do I get all of that space assigned to my ShareDrive? Do I just need to do the math at force add it? So I just resize the log folder from 577.78GB to 2GB, which would be 575.78. I can then add that to the ShareDrive 577.78 + 575.78 = 1153.56. I', just asking if there is a way for the system to do it.

Attachments

• DriveSpace.JPG
    DriveSpace.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 155

Alecmascot

Guru
You are reading the display wrong. 577.78 GB is the total free space !! You are 95% full

pschatz100

Guru
I have 6 x 6TB drives in a RAID 6. So I should have 24TB to play with. Yet FreeNAS has given each dataset 577.78GB in space. It's easy to change the max size of each of the datasets, as you can see I changed the "log" folder under "jails" to 2GB. I was wondering what is a good safe drive space to give each. Under the "iocage" folder there are 3 main folders: download, jails, releases. Again, each of mine is auto set to 578GB which is crazy. I want to resize each folder and give it back to my main share drive. Anyone have safe sizes I should set these folders at?

Then the big question: Once I release the drive space, how do I get all of that space assigned to my ShareDrive? Do I just need to do the math at force add it? So I just resize the log folder from 577.78GB to 2GB, which would be 575.78. I can then add that to the ShareDrive 577.78 + 575.78 = 1153.56. I', just asking if there is a way for the system to do it.
As @Alecmascot commented, the display shows that your pool "ShareDrive" is 95% full, with ~577 GiB free. With the exception of the "log" dataset, which you set to a max of 2 GiB space, the rest of them are sharing the remaining 577 GiB. They do not have 577 GiB available to each one.

Do not add any more data until you sort things out. You are already at 95% capacity and you do not want to completely fill up your volume or else you run the risk of complicating your problems. I hope you have backups of all the data.

Now to your problem:

What do you mean by "6 x 6TB drives in a RAID 6"? There is no such thing as Raid 6 in ZFS world. If you mean 6x6TB drives in Raid Z2, then yes you should have have more space than 9.97 TiB to work with. Therefore, I am pretty certain that you do not have the drives set up as you think they are.

Start with the basics:
1) Provide your system configuration (as required by the forum rules). Include a complete hardware description plus the version of FreeNAS.
2) add a screenshot of your disks (from Storage > Disks)
3) add a screenshot of your Pool Status

SirNagrom68

Cadet
OK, I see what you are looking at, but you aren't seeing the whole picture. I used the hardware RAID on my Dell R510 to make the raids. I didn't want to use the software RAID within FreeNAS. So it will show up as one drive to FreeNAS. I attached a picture of both my RAIDs so you can see what drive space I should have.

Attachments

• RAIDs.JPG
    RAIDs.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 137

pschatz100

Guru
I suspected hardware raid might be at the root of your problem. FreeNAS is not compatible with hardware raid. Period. If you had read any documentation, you would have known this from the beginning.

You have two choices: 1) Quit using hardware raid and set up ZFS properly, or 2) Use something other than FreeNAS,

Good luck. Bye.

SirNagrom68

Cadet
I suspected hardware raid might be at the root of your problem. FreeNAS is not compatible with hardware raid. Period. If you had read any documentation, you would have known this from the beginning.

You have two choices: 1) Quit using hardware raid and set up ZFS properly, or 2) Use something other than FreeNAS,

Good luck. Bye.

I did read about it, and as you can see with the 2nd RAID, it works. I just need someone smart to assist me. What I might do is just move all of the data off of the 1st RAID and rebuild it.