Jails or VM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sokonomi

Contributor
People keep saying iocage is the hot new thing that makes everything easy, but it really doesn't.Ive tried the plugins, ive tried manually installing a jail, ive tried 11.1, ive tried 11.2,im this close to trying 9.whatever now, just to get something working, even if its just a littlebit. I've already contemplated some kind of mangled version of windows so my purchase isnt a complete waste, that's how badly im struggling with this..

I can get the basic NAS functionality going no problem, Festers guide is golden for that, but good lord, getting ANY kind of program to run has been an absolute nightmare for me.What can I be doing wrong? Any native plugin I try, it just wont kick in.Ive managed to manually install sabNZBd in a virtualbox FreeNAS 11.1,and could actually address the jail IP, but I think that was just a fluke.

Thats why I was wondering if maybe running a VM would work.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Whats the deal with assigning storage to jails though?
Conceptually it's pretty straightforward--your making some directory on your server (the Source), which your jail otherwise couldn't see (being a jail), available at some specified path in your jail (the Destination). So, if your movies are on your server at /mnt/tank/video/movies, and you want Radarr to be able to see them (which you would), you would set storage for that jail with a Source of /mnt/tank/video/movies and a Destination of, say, /media/movies. That's simple enough; permissions is where it can get trickier, and others have addressed that question better than I.
When trying to install any of the plugins. Quite the improvement! :confused:
You know you're running beta software there, right? Yes, iX, for reasons known only to them, has put it into the 11.2-STABLE update train, but it's still a beta. To the best of my knowledge, the best way create iocage jails is still to use the command line--though they'll still be visible in the (new) UI.

anmnz

Patron
Yes, iX, for reasons known only to them, has put it into the 11.2-STABLE update train
I suspect it's confusion over terminology. In FreeBSD -STABLE means "ABI has not changed so your application binary will still run without recompiling", nothing more. @wblock explains this well: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs...at_word_does_not_mean_what_you_think_it_means

I kind of suspect the -STABLE name has been propagated from a branch name, to a FreeNAS release train name, to the FreeNAS upgrades UI, without anyone stopping to think about whether it makes sense in each new context.

diskdiddler

Wizard
People keep saying iocage is the hot new thing that makes everything easy, but it really doesn't.I've tried the plugins, I've tried manually installing a jail, I've tried 11.1, I've tried 11.2,im this close to trying 9.whatever now, just to get something working, even if its just a littlebit. I've already contemplated some kind of mangled version of windows so my purchase isnt a complete waste, that's how badly im struggling with this..

I can get the basic NAS functionality going no problem, Festers guide is golden for that, but good lord, getting ANY kind of program to run has been an absolute nightmare for me.What can I be doing wrong? Any native plugin I try, it just won't kick in.I've managed to manually install sabNZBd in a virtualbox FreeNAS 11.1,and could actually address the jail IP, but I think that was just a fluke.

Thats why I was wondering if maybe running a VM would work.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...darr-jackett-and-transmission-with-vpn.55502/

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/

I recommend using jails / plugins under FN 11.2 BETA1
It's very close to working good, it's just a tiny bit messy right now.
11.1 or 9, do not consider at this point.

I currently have 6 working jails in the new iocage system.
You will find BETA2 even better for the plugins I suspect.

I'd strongly recommend AGAINST running a VM, it's going to consume so much resources just to do one little thing. The plugins just need some nudging right now. Just ask for help, people will help out, it should be almost entirely seamless (like the old days) in a month or two.
(Sorry for you, sadly it's just bad timing, right in between a system being installed and a system being depreciated)

Sokonomi

Contributor
I was quite happy last night because I actually got Sonarr, Radarr, and sabNZBd to run off an iocage jail nicely, only to wake up this morning and find out none of my jails will go up anymore. :oops: I didn't change anything, and I shut down FreeNAS through the terminal menu. What could be preventing these jails from coming on? Is there a log for this somewhere?

I'm running FN11.2 on a virtualbox, settings completely default, with 2 jails that are also default.

Status
Not open for further replies.