Beginner question on jails installation and storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

vl33l

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm using my FreeNAS for storage purposes since one year and it's working perfectly (but new to the FreeBSD world and Unix more generally). However I now want to pass to the "next level", so I want to have Sonarr and NZBGet installed in order to add some automation.

I managed to install Sonarr following the doc for the 9.10 (I just made the install yesterday), however I do have a question on the storage location as it's not really clear for me. I have, for now, the storage of Sonarr at the following locations:
sonarr storage.PNG

(The source path can't be seen on the screenshot, but it's the default location for the jails which is under /mnt/MainVolume/jails on my FreeNAS, so the path is /mnt/MainVolume/jails/sonarr_1)

And so I'm questionning myself it this is the good location for the storage? The documentation sais :

• Source: is the directory or dataset on the FreeNAS® system which will be accessed by the jail. This directory must reside outside of the volume or dataset being used by the jail. This is why it is recommended to create a separate dataset to store jails, so the dataset holding the jails is always separate from any datasets used for storage on the FreeNAS® system.
  • Destination: select an existing, empty directory within the jail to link to the Source storage area. If that directory does not exist yet, enter the desired directory name and check the Create directory box.
So if I got it right, I should create a dataset specifically for this jail? Like I could create /mnt/MainVolume/Jails_Data and put every source of each plugin poiting to here ?

My second question is how difficult is it to install NZBGet on FreeNAS for a beginner ?

Thanks for your help! :)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You're a little off here.

Your source should be a dataset that you want your jail to access (a 'downloads' dataset for example), and the destination will be a path INTERNALLY to the jail (I use /media/downloads).

You don't need to create a dataset specifically for that jail. I use a /mnt/poolname/downloads dataset and map all jails that need access to that. I also have /mnt/poolname/media/<typeofmedia> datasets that I do the same thing with. I also have these datasets shared out to my network so that I have access to all of them from any computer.

As for installing nzbget it's extremely easy. Create a standard jail, ssh into your FreeNAS, jexec <idofjail> tcsh, pkg upgrade, pkg install nzbget.

vl33l

Dabbler
You're a little off here.

Your source should be a dataset that you want your jail to access (a 'downloads' dataset for example), and the destination will be a path INTERNALLY to the jail (I use /media/downloads).

You don't need to create a dataset specifically for that jail. I use a /mnt/poolname/downloads dataset and map all jails that need access to that. I also have /mnt/poolname/media/<typeofmedia> datasets that I do the same thing with. I also have these datasets shared out to my network so that I have access to all of them from any computer.

As for installing nzbget it's extremely easy. Create a standard jail, ssh into your FreeNAS, jexec <idofjail> tcsh, pkg upgrade, pkg install nzbget.

Thanks for the help! I'm back on that topic, managed to create the jail, updated it, and then installed NZBGet. I did on this order:

Create the downloads directory under /media/
Modified the nzbget.conf located in /usr/local/etc/nzbget/nzbget.conf to add the media/downloads to the MainDir variable, and also the WebDir to point to /usr/local/share/nzbget/webui

I can connect to NZBGet, but when I then try to setup the folders under the Settings tab, I got the following error:

Code:
Loading configuration failed
Could not load template configuration file nzbget.conf. The file contains descriptions of options and is needed to display settings page. The file comes with NZBGet distribution archive and is usually automatically installed into the right location. This seems not to be a case with your installation though.

Please put the template configuration file nzbget.conf into the directory with web-interface files (/usr/local/share/nzbget/webui).

So I copied /usr/local/etc/nzbget.conf to /usr/local/share/nzbget/webui/nzbget.conf, restarted the service, went to the browser and still the same error message.

Any idea why I keep getting this error?

vl33l

Dabbler
I fixed the issue, it was to be copied on /usr/local/share/nzbget.

But the pain is not over, now I got the following error when I try to setup a server on NZBGet:

Code:
TLS handshake failed: Error in the system's randomness device. 

From what I saw on Google, I need to recompile NZBGet using OpenSSL? If yes, some help wille be greatly needed because I have no idea how to do that for NZBGet :D

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I fixed the issue, it was to be copied on /usr/local/share/nzbget.

But the pain is not over, now I got the following error when I try to setup a server on NZBGet:

Code:
TLS handshake failed: Error in the system's randomness device. 

From what I saw on Google, I need to recompile NZBGet using OpenSSL? If yes, some help wille be greatly needed because I have no idea how to do that for NZBGet :D
I ran into this with my most recent updates about a month ago.

the easiest fix is to compile and get the binary.
(these instructions may be a little cloudy here)
ssh into freenas as root
Code:
jls
jexec <idofjailwithnzbget> tcsh

portsnap update
portsnap extract
cd /usr/ports/news/nzbget
make

(during the make process be sure and select the OpenSSL option, and I went with defaults on everything)
(after compiling you need to get the binary)

cp work/nzbget-17.1/nzbget /usr/local/bin/

after this you should be able to restart the nzbget service and ssl should work.

vl33l

Dabbler
Thanks! It worked (except my NZBGet is version 16.4)

When I start or stop the nzbget service, I got the following errors (which does not prevent NZBGet to work, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to have it running with these errors..) :

Code:
nzbget.conf(171): Invalid option "Server1.Optional"																				
nzbget.conf(952): Invalid option "MonthlyQuota"																					
nzbget.conf(955): Invalid option "QuotaStartDay"																					
nzbget.conf(962): Invalid option "DailyQuota"																					 
nzbget.conf(1895): Invalid option "ShellOverride"																				 
nzbget.conf(1310): Invalid value for option "HealthCheck": "park"																 
media/downloads/_Downloads/NZBGet/dst/nzbget.log: No such file or directory														

Did you had similiar error messages?

[Edit] I tried to perform a download, and I got one more error message:

Code:
Unrar: Could not start unrar: No such file or directory

Unrar is not installed on jails?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.